• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Laser Cut Stone Surface

Started by marc_reusser, February 25, 2012, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Wesley, yes in your photo it does project. This is a way of doing wall masonry....though professionally I am not a fan of it, as it collects rain water more readily...which then seeps into the joints.

The problem with the laser cut image, is that it is upside down...the light source is coming from the bottom...thus casting a shadow upward....which because we are accustomed to seeing things lit from "above"....fools the eye into thinking the grout is raised. A simple way to tell that the grout joint is not raised, is by the surface textures.....if the stone were lower and the grout higher....the stone would not be the s,ooth finished surface of the material....rather the textured/burned away surface that occurs from the laser cutter...and which is clearly evident in the grout lines.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Rail and Tie

The concept the fellow is working with is interesting. The grout lines look pretty well done. With no depth engraving done on the stonework, it looks pretty flat though. Depending on the laser he is using, he could do with some 3D engraving of the stones on top. Either that or maybe doing some plaster surfacing of the stones to uneven it up a bit.  Looks like he uses MDF or masonite. I find it leaves a granite like surface when it is engraved which migth work well.

BTW, thanks for the upside down comment. I turned the image over and presto it looked right!!!  Strange how the brain works...
Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie

Malachi Constant

Yeah, I turned my monitor upside-down to fix that ... and now all the other photos on the site look fuggin weird.  It's always something!  :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 28, 2012, 05:26:59 AM

The problem with the laser cut image, is that it is upside down...the light source is coming from the bottom...thus casting a shadow upward....which because we are accustomed to seeing things lit from "above"....fools the eye into thinking the grout is raised.

I don't think it's upside down. I think the "shadows" are burns from the laser. (Odd that it only burns on one side of a cut, but that's how my eyes are seeing it.)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack