• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

lab-dad

Beautiful lines!
Nice to see the final form.

Good luck on the 18th!

-Marty

Malachi Constant

Best of luck with the wrist surgeries!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

W.P. Rayner

Looking good Michael. Glad to know you're getting a little shop time. Best of luck with the CT surgery...

Paul

michael mott

Thank you all for your very kind words, I am not doing any fine stuff at the moment but sanding and painting with the paintbrush is working for me, and as you say Paul it is getting me some shop time, after the surgery I will not be able to do anything in the shop but gaze for a couple of months, So I am trying to make "A Little hay While the Sun Shines" although it felt a bit winterish here today.

Anyway I was able to do the gross work of "Wax on Wax off" this afternoon on the port side.

Then after the sanding of the white layer on the port side I applied the blue again this time changing the direction of the brush stroke to up and down.

So tomorrow I will sand and give the starboard side the white coat while the port side hardens up

Michael

lab-dad

Well now that it is all smooth and perfect!
I stumbled across this;

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2012/10/11/quick-tip-for-thin-strips/?utm_source=WoodsmithTips&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6423

Seems like a simple good repetitive solution for cutting thin strips.
I know you dont need it but other might.

Cant wait to see her under sail!

-Marty

michael mott

Marty it will be a while before it is under sail, however I have been working on it a little bit and the number of coats of paint both inside and out have been too numerous to count.
be that as it may I have been working on the the hull and the rudder on and off over the last month. The surgery was postponed for one month, so the big cut happens on the 15th of November.

I have been told that the rudder will be too small.

So I am looking into changinging it to be better for the model.

Arnold is checking out the fit of the cockpit.

Finally the rudder fitting for the deck. the deck is white pine half lapped and glued with black carpenters glue.

Michael 

Andi Little

Excellent - and a pleasure to see you posting. I am however always aggrieved at all that beautiful work being hidden behind paint, I know it's necessary but can't help but mourn the natural elegance of all those ribs - the upside of course is the natural grace of the vessel.
Decking is looking the part and I'm relishing the prospect of the detailing.

PS - I covet your workshop! - I'm trying to put a small (hobbyist) one together myself, but it seems good small machine tools are like hens teeth?
KBO..................... Andi.

lab-dad

Looking good!
Was wondering about yor surgery.
The rudder looks awfully small though.
Marty

michael mott

Andy, thanks for the kind words, the woodwork on the deck and mast and spars will all be varnished with brass brightwork.

Marty yes the rudder is too small and will be replace with another one this shape.

I was counseled by some RC boat modellers about the size and shape. Just one more learning curve.

Michael 

finescalerr

This whole project has been pretty astounding. Best of luck with the surgery. Those guys always scare the heck out of me. -- Russ

michael mott

Thanks Russ

I made the new rudder today from a laminate of two sheets of 1/4 inch x 12 ply aircraft plywood so 24 ply overall I glued them with epoxy.

made a new shaft from some 1/4 inch square and some 3/16 round and epoxied it into the slot at the leading edge.

overall shot

Michael

W.P. Rayner

Continues to be beautiful work Michael. The new rudder looks much better. I also like the look of the staggered treenails on the decking. She's going to be a real beauty when ready to launch.

Paul

5thwheel

Michael,
Good looking boat. I expect it will be fun to sail.  About the Carpal tunnel surgery.  Not a lot to fear. I went through it some time ago.  Was back in my shop much sooner than I had expected. good luck on the surgery.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.