• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

That hull is so sleek, it's amazing. Really great craftsmanship.

Good luck with the surgery!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Wonderful progress, and lovely workmanship.

My first reaction about the hull and ribs was the same as Andi's., but once all the paint is done and the reflections and highlights pull along the hull, it will really show the elegance of her form.

I hope the surgery went well, and you are recovering comfortably.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

michael mott

Paul thanks, there is definitely something special about wood that often eludes the eye. The new rudder shape is based on council from folk who know about these things.

Bill, thanks for the thoughts and your comment about timing. I am eager to get back to work on a number of fronts. the hands are healing well.

Ray thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. I am still in awe of all the stone that you have moved on your railway.

Marc, thanks. Yes recovery is almost complete. Thanks for your kind words regarding the model, you have no idea how difficult it was for me to cover the wood with paint, but given that this was also a learning exercise, I am looking forward to building a hull in the future that will show the planks as they are. There is so much more to planking than meets the eye. I now have some inkling of what that is.

Michael

michael mott

Switching gears today, I have been working on a roller reefing boom, the first boom was made from fir but I changed my mind and made a new one from some clear spruce that I had kicking around. I also decided to make the boom with roller reefing.

This is what I am after

http://www.classicboat.co.uk/articles/nereis-part-5-boom-and-mast/

I had a small worm that was the right size diametrically, a bit too long but that was an easy fix. I had no gears that were close so opted to make one
I had an old 30 tooth clock gear in the spares box so I used it as a template on my small gear cutting mandrel.

in order to get the angle of the cut across the face I squashed the worm into some clay that was lined up square with the vice and mandrel. Then rotated the table to line up the fore and aft cutting across the gear face.

The next task was to bore the hole in the end of the boom, I was not able to do this on the mill drill so I turned up a sleeve that fit over the end of the boom out of a scrap or plastic bearing material. to act as a guide for the hand drill.

this worked very well.

A bit of work reshaping the worm and softening the edges of the gear they mesh well enough that that it will work.

Next to make the bracket to fit to the goose neck.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Beyond me - but impressive never the less.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

Wesleybeks

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

michael mott

Ray ,thanks
Andi, its just a bit O brass.
Russ is that a word?
Wesley, thanks
Chuck, appreciate you comment, as I'm working away I often wonder "how would Chuck do this?"

Today I did a bit of milling and a fair bit of filing and fiddling. I worked on the frame section started out with a cube of 1 inch brass.

The tube that fitted to the boom was a brass 3/4 pipe nipple that I bored out to a 1/16th wall thickness then milled a slot and then filed it to shape, it was really hard getting it to seat properly onto the boom. My carving was pretty ugly under the brass. my hats off to all you figurehead carvers out there.

Tomorrow I will make the keepers for the worm. I will use some 0x80 machine screws to bolt them into place, and file a square onto the shaft, for the handle.

Michael

michael mott

Just a bit more fiddling about with the boom and goose neck.

I am pleased with the way it is turning out.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous! You could actually go sailing with that!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Just fiddling he says... !!!   Michael, that looks fabulous, it really does look the part [is that a pun]?

You seem to be taking this build to a serious level - are you intending it to be a "working" sail boat?? - you know, as in Radio Control or something?
KBO..................... Andi.

chester

Hydrostat

"Now I have to take up knitting, again. I'm going to go sit in the corner now and suck my thumb." If these are the results: keep knitting! Looks fantastic!

I've just read the beginning of this thread - nice to see how you worked with card. I think it's a great, versatile material. And it's cheap ;).

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"