• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Hi Ray, and Andi, yes it is my intention to sail this model. I don't know much about radio control, other than it works and that many folk know a lot about it and how to apply it. So it will be a steep learning curve. Also I do not have the sort of money that the radio control equipment costs, I have time but little cash.

Chester thanks.

Volker, Yes the beginning started out simple enough but then I got more interested in building a bigger boat that I could sail, I do live at a lake and really enjoy sailing. I keep reading about the model builders who build the large models of 17th and 18th century sailing frigates and some are simply mind blowing with regards the workmanship.

Check out this chap's work for instance.
http://www.modellismodarsenale.com/

http://www.modellismodarsenale.com/fleuron/fleuron6.htm

http://www.modellismodarsenale.com/fleuron/fleuron9.htm

http://www.modellismodarsenale.com/fleuron/fleuron16.htm

http://www.modellismodarsenale.com/fleuron/fleuron27.htm

My model pales in comparison to this chap's work.

And the amazing thing is there are folk all over the world who do things like this, who devote their time to making wonderful objects, whether of ships, airplanes, Locomotives, or any other form of expression.

It is what keeps me sane. I have given up on the news because it is so depressing, people pointing sticks at each other, polluting the planet , greed, you name it.

The artists and for me that includes all forms of creative expression, from Music to painting and poetry with all the wonderful mediums between, bring me joy to behold. There is something new to discover every day.

Michael

marc_reusser

Anything I can say is an understatement. Simply stunning and beautiful work. Real Art. Mad skills.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Dear God! - that's puts anything I've attempted into a harsh and unflattering light.

Simply, deliciously ... Marvellous.
KBO..................... Andi.

michael mott

Progress continues.

however a problem with the edge of the deck planking requires a top layer of planks to cover the mistake. seen here at Walter's feet.

The edge board was missing, and I prefer the look of the Douglas fir anyway. this shows the edge board in place.

The boards were just pegged temporarily to see how it would look and this will be the way forward (pun intended)
So now to finish the sub planking the on to the top planks.

On this version of the refurbished pilot cutter the new owners preferred the more upscale look of the Douglas fir to the old  worn pine work decking anyway.

Michael

Gordon Ferguson

Just continous to get better Michael.

Been following your build on other forums and was a little bit concerned when you started the planking but see you are well on your way to sorting that out now ........... not sure on these cutters but it was pretty common on similar ships for the cover board to be  thicker than the general planking.

Have seen it up to an inch proud of the planking with the corner edge rounded-over.

I have seen few people who are as good as you at both wood work and metal work ............. that combination of brass fitted so accurately to the mast is a thing of beauty   
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

It's a wonder to me how you get everything to fit together so nicely.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Juke Joint

michael mott

Gordon, ... next time you are concerned about my rambling off in some strange direction, without due regard for the established customs of fabrication.... speak up for God's sake man..... you would have saved me many hours of worry. :P ;).

Ray the fitting together neatly is a combination of a bin full of not so well fitting together bits, and a lot of time spent cutting openings smaller and then filing away until it fits.

Philip, thanks and welcome aboard.... this journey has a way to go yet.

The supports for the bowsprit penetrate the deck planks and go right down to the keel. I also finished the sub planking today.

The holes through the deck planking are filed after drilling a series of holes and then using an exacto saw to open up the hole. and then used a square file to finish them.

The supports for the bowsprit are coming together the knees are cut from some salvaged 3/8th maple flooring planks. and the upright square 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch from a discarded baby's crib I found at the dump.

Michael

finescalerr

All in all, not especially bad at this stage. -- Russ

Andi Little

I've just come straight from Doris's thread to this one: and they taste exactly the same!

Great job Michael - it leaves me in awe.
KBO..................... Andi.

michael mott

Thanks Russ I do my best....

Andi thanks for that compliment, as you know I was inspired by Doris to start this model, Her work just floors me.

Michael

marc_reusser

Quote from: Andi Little on January 28, 2013, 12:55:22 AM
I've just come straight from Doris's thread to this one: and they taste exactly the same!

Great job Michael - it leaves me in awe.

...yeah, the bitter taste of inadequacy. Maybe if I get some Scotch I can wash it away. :-\
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

michael mott

Quote..yeah, the bitter taste of inadequacy. Maybe if I get some Scotch I can wash it away. Undecided

Marc surely you jest!! your skills at this modelmaking caper are exemplary.

QuoteBourbon works better...

Well I'm not so sure about that, a good 18 year old single malt takes some beating. I do however like a good beer.

Michael

michael mott

Drilled a lot of holes today.

Finished putting in the treenails in the sub planks.

The port side is finished and sanded ready for the top planks and the starboard is close.

Michael