• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan G

I agree with Ray! Having built a couple of ships from kits ALL YOUR WORK LOOKS INCREDIBLE TO ME!!!!...Alan

finescalerr

I really enjoy each installment. -- Russ

michael mott

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

I have finished the lights and gave it all a wipe of Tung Oil, now am adding the hinges these are a little tricky to make out of .010 brass sheet. when all 8 are complete i will drill and countersink the holes.

michael

Ray Dunakin

How do you fold such long strips of brass so smoothly, without it warping?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

michael mott

Hi Ray
I use the following sequence

1 anneal
2 set into vice ready to make first fold
3 fold over using a solid bar of any handy material
4 remove from metal vice

the rest is in the next post michael

michael mott

continuation

5 hold the folded piece in wood vice to close up some more
6 remove from vice when parallel
7 place piece over rod that you need to be the pin diameter
8 while the rod is held up close the vice almost all the way to narrow the gap

michael mott

continuation with the last pics

9 the fold should now look like this
10 set the piece back in the vice with the rod so that as the vice is closed up the rod gets squeezed upwards to form tight loop
11 the piece should now be fully closed like this.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Thanks. I need to get a good vise one of these days.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

When they built the full size boat they probably went to a marine supply store and bought hinges. No such hardware is available to a modeler in your scale so you had to fabricate your own. That would be true of many parts for your model. Conclusion: You have to be a better and more multi-faceted craftsman than anyone who constructed the original! -- Russ

michael mott

Russ thanks for that, I had never thought about it. But it is true that a lot of the people who make models have to make their own parts.

Michael

lab-dad

Michael,
I assume you cut off the short flag so the hinge is formed just like one in full scale?
Just score and snap with a sharp blade?

Good stuff!

-Marty

michael mott

Marty yes I cut it off, with a jewelers saw with a short #7 blade to lessen the flex cut almost through then fold back and forth to snap off.

michael

michael mott

managed to do a bit more work on the skylight Had a bit of trouble fitting the hinges tricky little devils. Had to redo them all with some relief on the lights to clear the heads of the small rivets that were a substitute for flat head screws.

Michael

michael mott

I had to pry off the hinges from the lights and relieve the wood to allow for the hinges to be slightly oped underneath but not affect the look from the topside. they all sit down flush now. Next i have to fit the Lexan.

Michael