• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Nice scarf joints Michael... well done.

Paul

michael mott

Russ The trick is to take time preparing the joint. I am very fortunate to have a die filing machine.

It is this tool, I purchased mine in 1979, to do a particular job and have only used it sporadically since. it holds the file perfectly at 90 degrees to the table and cuts on the down stroke just like a scroll saw, in fact I can set it up to use saw blades as well, but I enjoy using a hand jewelers saw as it cuts a very fine line and wastes little material. 

http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/equipment/die-filer/

Paul thanks.

michael

michael mott

A little more progress with the big boat.

some of the wood re sawn for the keel

and after gluing up a few bit for the stem

another one of these multiple scarf joints.

last shot for today, the little round puck like object is a sanding jig for sanding inside curves.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Dear Lord man! ................. at least allow us to catch our breath!

Actually this I'm sure is going to be another "must see" post to follow .... all power to your elbow.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

This is really disturbing. First a paper pilot model whose construction techniques I find educational. Now an impressive display of woodwork. I'm almost too intimidated to visit my own forum! -- Russ

michael mott

Ray I'm happy that you like my wood-butchering.

Andi glad that you are following along, you set a pretty high standard with your own work.

Russ What can I say? you know I cannot play a note, musically I got 8% in grade school, woodwork I did fairly well.

Today it was a lovely sunny day in the shop.

which got me inspired.

I finished up the long straight parts of the keel, and began cutting the notches for the frames, I made a simple rest type jig to act as a guide for the 1/4 inch pareing chisel.

The sides were cut with a #11 blade using a quick styrene square glued to the correct angle, if I were going to do a lot of these I would make it out of brass.

Gluing the inside and outside sections of the keel were not easy to rub together so I used a bit of weight and a couple of small clamps on the stem.

so I am pretty pleased with the progress today. I also threw together a level building board out of some scrap 1 inch K3 particle board and some 1/2 inch ply. and glued up a sloped keel rest to set the hull at the correct angle so that the frames are vertical.

next the stern post and rudder housing.

Michael

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Lovely, lovely lovely!
Just like seeing the real thing come to life!

I really enjoy seeing everyones work spaces!
I have 4 different dedicated "shops" and cant get enough of seeing others!
Of course they all have one thing in common - never big enough!

-Marty

TRAINS1941

Wow!!!  That is really nice.  And a pretty good workshop to boot.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Beautiful work Michael!  I would have just built a flatboat.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

I see the quality of workmanship is up to your usual exceptionally high standard Michael .................. and if you think I am going to be stupid enough to offer anymore advice you are wrong  :)

Keep up the standard and speed of progress so I can have a good start to my mornings ;)

I presume you are going to go back to the "paper hull" every now and again? 
Gordon

michael mott

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Gordon, yes I will continue working on the little boat.

I stared on the frames today to get a better feel for the shape, frames 1 and 2 were made from single pieces of wood, the shaping of them at the keel was a bit tricky.

Frames 3 and 4 are made up with single scarf joints.

the 1 an 2 frames close up

That's all for now.

Michael

finescalerr

I get the feeling this guy knows a little about how to construct wooden ships and boats. Anyone have a similar impression? -- Russ

Andi Little

I feel like I've brought a knife to a gunfight - that's how I feel!
KBO..................... Andi.