• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kingfisher a gaff rig pilot cutter

Started by michael mott, February 27, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Definitely graceful ... but for some reason, the photos are making me crave spare ribs!  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

lab-dad

Ribs?
I was thinking standing rack of lamb?

Anyway beautiful just as it sits!
I think once you finish just the ribs set up a proper background for a beauty shot!

-Marty

billmart

Ah c'mon Mike.  Your work with railroad models blows me away and now your doing it with ship models.  You are a truly gifted man.

Bill Martinsen

Wesleybeks

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

michael mott

Thanks for all the comments guys.
Russ I am happy that you think the lines are graceful.

Malachi, Spare ribs now we are talking.

Marty, a beauty shot? wot more do you need?

Bill, thanks for the compliment. the model boat thing has been with me for as long as I can recall I have put it away for so long, and finally it has broken through to the fore. It is hard to not think about anything else at the moment.  I am already feeling guilty enough, I have not touched anything remotely connected to rails since embarking on this boat. I am working on a solution for the swap project as I am also in touch with my candidate in other ways, I think the outcome will work out well in the end. I have not logged in to SE in a while. but I will honour my commitment one way or another.

Wesley
thanks fore the fine words

John, I am happy that you find the lines acceptable.

here are a couple of shot of the work to date it is an interesting journey to say the least.

I hve changed the building board and have reworked a number of the frames to get a smooth shape to the hull. the planks are being pegged as I go along. they are certainly taking a while because I have to wait for the glue to set before moving on to the next plank. This will end sometime, then I can fair the planks and proceed with the second layer which will be at least half the thickness of the first layer, and more traditional in appearance. then a few coats of sealer to help to get the hull waterproof.

this is how I hope to have the finished boat look.

Michael

Malachi Constant

Quote from: michael mott on April 12, 2012, 08:56:44 PM
here are a couple of shot of the work to date it is an interesting journey to say the least.

Beautiful work!  Thanks for taking us along to see the journey.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

A work of art and thing of beauty. A joy to watch it come to life.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Beautiful - a seductive medium and subject. I envy you everything about this project and look forward to constant updates; amazing that one can become attached to something by proxy .............. but I have.

Great work.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

I am in awe of anybody who can scratchbuild a boat from wood, especially to the standard you have achieved so far. -- Russ

lab-dad

Just lovely!
How very relaxing it must be, and satisfying!
Are you intending on sailing it? (R/C)?
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

It looks almost big enough to float an actual person.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

Dallas I am happy that you are coming along, this is a far cry from the Macton Locomotive Works, but I think that Bertrand's Great Uncle was somehow involved in shipbuilding and that his son, who would be Bertrand's cousin was involved in the supply of timber to the shipyards. A loose link but a link never the less.

Marc, thank you for the kind words coming from you I take it as a great compliment.

Andi, Thanks I am pleased that this (little) project has captivated your imagination, perhaps a small lapstrake dingy on a trailer behind the Bedford. Oh the hours I tooled around the South Downs with a bunch of guys in the middle sixties in a Bedford van.

Russ, Thanks, the proof of course will be if it floats!

Marty, yes it is my intention to have the boat on the lake with a radio to control the sails and rudder, how well I pull it off is yet to be seen.

Ray, interesting comment, I have been thinking about biulding a model of a J class yacht from the 30's that is big enough to sit in, sort of like a deep keel kayak.

A bit more work on the planking.

and this is only the first layer!

After this first layer is finished and faired I will be overlaying the dress planks which will be done in such a way to imply the caulking on a real boat. Now there is my real challenge, this is where I get into Marc and Chuck Doan territory, scary indeed.

Michael

Gordon Ferguson

Beautiful Michael.

The build itself is a work of art but I also notice the sign of craftsmanship all around ............... the end keel supports, no slapdash bits of wood here but nicely shaped and sanded, even the work base has a routed edge to it.

As always I look forward to further updates 
Gordon

michael mott

Hi Gordon, thanks for noticing the supports. The other thing I am trying to work a little more tidily. I have done enogh planking on one side for now and will start the other side tomorrow.

I think I might be off the three plank rule in a place or two.

Michael