• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New Member needs Help

Started by Lawton Maner, March 02, 2012, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

I am looking for plans for the following: 1) East Broad Top Steel Box Cars, 2) East Broad Top Scale Test Car, and 3) Westside Lumber Powder Siding Snow Plow.  As soon as I feel up to it, I will post a profile for all to see.  I think Russ can answer any question you might have until then.  Thanks for help in advance.

SandiaPaul

NGSLG has published these, try the Model Railroader magazine index to locate which issue.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of these however...
Paul

Lawton Maner

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a complete collection of NG&SLG and some of the pieces I am looking for have appeared in it.  But, most of the time the drawings in it are closer to general erection drawings then shop drawings. 

For the EBT box car and scale test car, I need a set of drawings good enough to attempt to replicate the large scale model from last summer's offering from Uncle Russ's press.

The Russ Simpson's plans were very complete and left little to guesswork.  The Tuolumne County Museum, link:http://tchistory.org/tchistory/simpson.htm  has announced they plan on releasing a series of DVD's of Simpson's plans, but because they like most museums rely on volunteers to do the heavy lifting it could be a long time before they release the ones I need.

As I want to be able to swim in the same pond with the sharks on this forum, I've got to hit my marks or end up as chum.  Finally getting up the courage to join in means I've got to do it right or toss it out and start over.  Yes, the trashcan is a modeling tool more modelers should use more often.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Geoff Ringle

Hi Lawton,

The E.B.T. scale test car is an interesting subject.  It's perfect for composite styrene/metal or all brass construction.  I plan to do one someday and can point you to the available information... Back issues of the FEBT TIMBER TRANSFER are available.
Winter 1989 – plans and photos for the scale car #30
Spring 2002 & Summer 2002 – two part article on building a 1:20.3 model of car #30

You can purchase from the FEBT company store without joining, but membership will get you future issues of the magazine and a discount from the company store.  More information at the FEBT site http://www.febt.org/index.html

The available drawings for the EBT steel box cars and the transition wood-on-steel box car #170 have inaccuracies.  I relied on field measurements, published photographs and my photo documentation to build the model.  

A very good source for modeling information on the EBT steel box cars is the Quick Pic Book by Tim Mulina (also available from the Co. Store)  Many of the detail photographs are taken with a tape measure next to the part (in some ways, better than a drawing).

Geoff

Lawton Maner

Goeff:

Thanks for the leads.

In January I was watching the bidding on a Sunset EBT brass model of loco #16 on Ebay and my wife looked over my shoulder and said "You are going to buy that".  

My reply was "No,I'm just watching".  

Her relpy was "that wasn't a question.  You ARE going to buy it."  

Not wanting to argue with my wife I did what any smart husband does when confronted with a potential arguement with one's wife I simply said "Yes Dear" and bought it.

After I bought #16, I joined the FEBT and am now just beginning to plot purchases from the Company Store.