• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help wanted: How to make look plaster like old concrete

Started by mad gerald, March 12, 2012, 03:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'day all,

seems like I'll have the chance for some "spare minutes" for the benefit of modelling. One thing where I got stuck for a while is to make plaster look like old concrete.

Some time ago I tried to make a fundament for my old shed from plaster, with a small amount of mixing colour to get it pre-coloured in gray, followed by some coats of highly thinned water colour. But the result does not even come close to the look of old concrete ...  :P

I have some prototype pictures of old concrete, but I do not manage to get/find/use the right colours and/or techniques. Anybody out there to put me on the right track colourwise ... ?

Cheers

Edited - misspelling

BKLN

I have found the color to be crucial for real looking concrete. There is a misconception the concrete is grey. Cement is grey, but not concrete. Depending on the sand used you will get something a lot more sand colored.

I suggest a base coat of a light sand color, then some darker washes or pigment to bring out texture.

David Emery

Sometimes concrete has a slight greenish cast to it.  (That's also true of Floquil Driftwood stain.) 

As far as texture, I've gotten some good results with Liquitex Ceramic Stucco, as described here:  http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35545&whichpage=3

dave

Scratchman

Ray Dunakin

Gordon, that old jail is pretty nifty. Where is it located?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Gerald,

I tend to use very thin washes of Floquil "Congrete",and a grey color, and maybe some spot washes/staining with other colors...all very diluted, and applied in layers.

I have also done the sameas above ..thin washes...with Vallejo acrylics.

I will see if I can find my photos and colors I used.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

G'evening all,

thanks, I very much appreciate your support ... I'll give it another try ...

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 12, 2012, 11:37:11 PM
I have also done the sameas above ..thin washes...with Vallejo acrylics.

I will see if I can find my photos and colors I used.
... would be nice (but only if you're not too busy) as Vallejo is better available at this side of the pond ...

Cheers

BKLN

Another quick note:
I noticed that your concrete appears very smooth and clean for a foundation of this kind. A shed would most likely have a more coarse texture, especially considering the large scale you are building in.
(fein gesiebter Vogelsand in die Farben gemischt, wuerde eventuell auch die richtige Textur ergeben)

mad gerald

Christian,

Quote from: BKLN on March 14, 2012, 06:09:12 AM
Another quick note:
I noticed that your concrete appears very smooth and clean for a foundation of this kind. A shed would most likely have a more coarse texture, especially considering the large scale you are building in.
(fein gesiebter Vogelsand in die Farben gemischt, wuerde eventuell auch die richtige Textur ergeben)

thanks for pointing that out ... I was only wondering why my concrete looks ... umm, well ... like coloured plaster ... but it's not only the colour - it's the texture too! I completely have overlooked that. (Deinen Tipp mit dem Vogelsand werde ich mal testen)

Cheers

marc_reusser

Gerald,

Sory it took so long to get back to you, but was trying to find the correct photos...no luck, but did fined these of a 1/35 "Panzerturm" build....its not perfect, but maybe of some use.

The concrete here was made by casting plaster (Hydrocal) into a wooden form made of strip basswood, to give a "board form" texture. Once the plaster was set (not fully dry...it was still cool/damp to the touch), the forms were removed. Some of the plaster stuck to the forms and caused a "spalled" look to the surface in areas. I then came in with a Micro-Mark wire pencil, and dabbed/stabbed at the surface to create pitting/texture, and represent damaged, poorly cast/poured, or decaying surface areas.

Once this was completely dry., I used very diluted Floquil "Aged Concrete" and old dirty Floquil paint thinner, to stain the surface.  This same effect could be achieved using highly diluted Vallejo acrylics.

For scale, the face of the piece is about 3cm tall.

HTH.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works