• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Although it's probably not nearly as helpful as what Marc is offering, I did a couple of CAD drawings of 1:32 scale circular saws for my friend, Richard Christ, several years ago. I could re-scale them and send them to you. -- Russ

jacq01

Russ, 

that would be great. 
  Thanks

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

Marc,

the blades from Echo Mountain I found some time ago. I mailed them, but no respons. There was a fret on ebay not so long ago, but the price became too high. These are the ones i was looking for.
Your and Russ his offer will help me greatly, as I can make a master drawing for laser cutting or etching with a variety of diameters.   
An A4 full of blades cut in high quality paper or etched in nickel-silver will give me the quantity needed and more for the sawfillers room. Plasticising the paper might be an option, but not necessary after painting.
When this works out, anyone interested in a sheet can contact me.

Here some photo's of the logdeck and associated machinery.  Logstop/kicker with complete Simonson logturner. 
On the photo's I discovered some clean spots,  >:(  to be covered when all get the final treatment.

Visible steam piping and control attachments still to be done, but ...............there comes a time in every project that the engineer needs to be shot.................... :D :D

Amazing that it all fits  ;D ;D

Logturner arms down, log can be loaded.

Logturner arms up, turning hook retracted

Logturner hook ready to pull log from carriage, turning it.

Hook fixation and point details

Log lifting bars, used during turning logs. They move up and down by cams linked to an independant steam cilinder operated by the log turner control lever

4' 3" x 16'0" long test log ( scraped broomstick handle  ;D  )  on the logkicker.
Logturner ready for return of carriage

Log ready to be turned

Log turned and ready to be pushed back onto the carriage

Log ready for the next slice.

Simonson loaders seem to be exclusively used in the north west  sawmills according to Bryant.
Details were taken from original patents found on Google and photo's

I have added the drawing again to show the function:

The drawing of the Hume Bennett mill is showing the position of the Simonson logturner together with the Hill logturner or "steamnigger "  This turner is mainly used when turning already "slabbed" logs.

A model of this turner, steamcilinders for kicker and lifter bars ( including piping ?? ) will be added when I start on the ground floor.
Final weathering with sawdust, barkrests and dirt will be added when sawing floor is complete.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

scrappy1

man that great looking as a newbe to this I'm astonished how detailed and your ability to scratch build  amazing

finescalerr

Please save some of the construction photos in hi-res. Your sawmill's construction will make an excellent article for a future Logging Annual. -- Russ

danpickard

Jaqc,
Congratulations on your insanity!  I knew I was looking at a superb model in the making, but I wasn't expecting so many actual moving parts to be involved.  Bloody brilliant stuff, got me wondering how much other stuff in the mill will be modelled with animation to it.  I've seen plenty of sawmill models as "frozen moments", but the ability to pretty well demonstrate the process of round log to flat board in this model is going to the next level.  It might make for an interesting little photo display of the S-B-S process of milling timber, to accompany the model when it goes to show, like an educational thing for the viewing public.  In some ways, it almost seems a shame that when you do a model like this, you have to then put a roof on it and take away half the detail you know is really inside.

On the topic of the saw blade hunt,  Sierra West has a few blades in its sawmill machinery re-releases (the old CHB stuff).  The edger probably has a few etched blades in it, and the head saw came with a sheet of lasercut paper blades in various sizes.  The echo mountain stuff Marc has provided looks very good, the SWMW stuff would make a good "plan B" if needed, and I'll put my hand up for a sheet of blades if they come available ;D

Dan

jacq01

Russ,

all photo's are in JPEG ( fine) L   around 2.5 -3.0 Mb. ( Nikon D70s )   
  I can redo some of the last series and newer ones in RAW format for you, however I do not have the software to read it on my computer.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

michael mott

Hello Jacq as a newbie here I have really enjoyed reading through this thread, outstanding modelwork! and inspiration for us who are watching this model develop.

regards Michael

jacq01

Dan,

that is a good idea, showing the different steps in a sort of powerpoint presentation. 
     My intention is to have the following movable so the working can be explained/shown: 
     1. transfertables between roller lines
     2. rollers in resaw showing process of cutting 1"-2" boards from cant with return line.
     3. edger process
     4. saws in gang saw
     5. car on loghaul.
     6. Hill logturner
     1, 2 and 5 are under construction,  for 3, 6 all drawing work is done and for 4 drawings are being made.
     Line shafting and conveyor layout on groundfloor will start after saw floor is ready.
     Boiler- and powerhouse are in the planning

The sawmill will have an open character, only the long backwall will be covered, so all machines, belt drives, steamcilinders with piping and sawdust.slab conveyors are visible. 

Most of the research and planning has been done already, Marc named it properly a project, so the approach is accordingly. Nothing is taken for granted and must be understood by myself before I commence building.

Michael, glad you like it, I hope to have the complete diorama fully described here on the forum and ready for the exhibition rounds in November 2010.

Here some more photo's with details of the Simonson logloader.

The cilinders are made from telescoping styrene tubes, the final tube is brass to achieve the correct O.D.
  This enables the piston rod to move straight in the cilinder over the full range
  Flanges are 0.5mm disks with NBW with a o,1 disk in between to represent the gasket.
  The main shaft has a crank near the middle to provide room for the Hill logturner.

The floor as it is now without all the details. Planks still to be added to be treated differently to represent
  sun exposed boards in contrast to the boards inside and not reached by the sun.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marklayton

Jacq -

Each time I look at the photos, more details keep popping out.  This time it was the iron wear strips atop the timbers, and the grease stains around the pillow blocks on the log kicker that caught my eye.  Your attention to detail is an inspiration.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

RoughboyModelworks

Wow... this just keeps getting better and better Jacq. Really impressed with your thoroughness and high standards of workmanship. It's a rare treat to watch this project come together.

Paul

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Excellent modeling.  The detail work is just perfect.  This will be a real show stopper.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Must agree with above comments. Good stuff, fun to see come together.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

sierrawest

Jacq:

Outstanding work. Really like what you are doing.

Please contact me off list and I will be happy to cut any sawblades you need.

Brett

jacq01

Waiting for material to arrive from US.  Or I am too impatient or post is realy taken longer as usual.  >:( >:( >:( :o
  I started with less interesting and much neglected work, the base. It is essential to create a well build module base, keeping in mind ease of access during landscape building, sturdiness and leightweight for transport and simplicity during building up and taking apart at shows.  Appearance is also a very important factor when presenting the diorama.

The basic form of the modules.

The module is made from 6mm  birch plywood with suitable stiffeners.  The back is a double wall with holders for the
  valance cantilevers and electric conduits.  When working on the landscape / structures or for maintenance, they can easily be removed, normally they are an integral part of the module.
  The valance incorporates all lights and can be moved out 100mm to improve lighting of the front structures and landscape. 
Top is made from (3-4mm) foamboard or reinforced plastic board.  Transport cover at front is from the same material.
it is surprising how much dust it all collects during a weekend when thousends pass by)
At the sides two 6mm plywood transport covers can be clamped on with hand openings for easy lifting.
Modules can be stacked 2 high to fit in a small trailer or van.  Legs have at the top an adjustable channel. This makes setting up level easy without crawling all over the place. Power is via 2 connectors, 1 x 230V AC for light and transformers and 1 x for 16VAC and DCC signal lines.
At  exhibitions / shows it will be possible to have all set up and trains running in about 1 hour.

The material has been ordered with a local lumber yard and will be delivered exactly cut to size AND square  :D :D so it will be not too hard to put it all together ( in the daytime  ;D ;D

Jacq
I am what I remember.