• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

That sounds like good news, Jacq. But next time please remember to attach the photos! -- Russ

jacq01

Progres at last......

After picking up the lumber on Saturday, I had some time to put the base for the mill together.

The basic shape has been cut. The level of the mill's groundfloor is in and the grid laid out.

A paper mockup of the boiler house with a WS boiler for comparrison.

A scale drwg of the dam arches showing the relative size. Only 2 1/4 arches and the end wall will be built
The height on the downstream side will be 6"-7" and will be a scale 2'0" thick.
Photo's of the dam show a coarse granite agregate. Has anyone an idea what size was used?

From Habs Haer photo's of Hume Lake dam

I am building timberlined plastified carton casting jigs, so I can cast with very fine cement, sand and cement the dam, footings and
pulley line bearingseats. But first some tests to see or the casings can be removed easily and some reinforcements are needed.
When the test works out ok, I'll do the boiler house and power house also in concrete like the original buildings.

I've done it years ago with succes  on a H0 road. I'll dig up a photo.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Knowing the region and the diffculty in access (especially in those days), they would have used local (on site) aggregate/stone/sand/gravel, mixed with cement that was hauled up by mules/wagons from the Fresno.  From trips there, I recall that the local stone in the Yosemite region seems to be predominantly Granite, so it would figure that they used this type of aggregate and sand in the mix.

Beautiful work on the module frame. The layout of the mill and dam look like they will work very well and be visually dynamic.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

any idea of the agregate average size/diameter. I have some fine 0,7 - 1,0 mm diabas H0 ballast, but it doesn't looks and feels ok.
  Suggestions are welcome.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Hey Jacq,

Might want to load some in a tumbler for awhile to round off the edges.... Just a thought   ???

Mike

marc_reusser

Jacq,

I would venture to guess around 3/4" (2cm) or so on average...but that is really only a guess.....I know nothing about Dam construction...and even less about that period of dam construction ;).

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Quoteeven less about that period of dam construction

some nice houses were build in that time ( 1908)

It looks like 0,5mm grit will do.  I'll try it tomorrow when mixing the first test batch. It could compete with the sand though.   ??? ???

Structure in place, it turned out what I had in mind. ( see bw. drooldle sketches in an earlier post.

I am what I remember.

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Jacq,

Concrete mixes especially for dams can and do fill volumns.

In general for a dam like the one your talking about and of that era
the grizzly and batch plant was set up nearby and only the cement was imported.

For modern era, 1920's till now the typical mix for construction would be
cement, sand and rock.  the rock sand mixture is normally what they call 3/4 minus. 
for strong solid concrete you can't use a mix of cement,sand and large rock even 3/4.  You have to have a graduating scale of sizes from sand up to the largest size aggregate.

In dam constuction that largest size can run to 3-4 inch or bigger but that mix includes all sizes below that down to the sand and cement particals.   Crushed or broken rock requires more cement in the mix than does river run or smooth stones to get the proper binding. 

Looking at the picture you posted of the concrete in the dam you want to model I would make a few guesses. Beyond some weathering and sluffing away it looks like the mix was poured with an incorrect slump ( to dry) and would not flow together.  Further it certainly was not vibrated to fill the voids.  Even in those days (1908) they new enough to wack the forms with a hammer and poke down into the wet mix to fill in those voids.  It also looks like they may have skimped on the proper proportions of the aggregate and used more rock and sand and not much in between. 

For the model just about any size representing up to 2" stone would probably look fine.  Do the same that they did and use a very dry mix and don't pack it in real tight.  I assume you will use board by board rough cut for the forms??

Good luck
I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Rick Marty

Ray Dunakin

That's going to be a heck of an impressive module!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

danpickard

Jacq,
The module framing is every bit as clean as the model itself.  Very nice to see the mill starting to find its way to a home.  I look forward to learning a bit about some of your scenery techniques as well once that stage arrives.  I've enjoyed some of the colours and tones you've used on that big old layout of yours, and I want to see how it comes together for this layout.

Cheers,
Dan

Hauk

Now *there* is a sawmill module!
Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards, Haavard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

RoughboyModelworks

Very nicely done benchwork Jacq. Am I correct in my observation that you're using birch plywood for the dominant structural elements?

Paul

jacq01

Paul,

correct.  12mm thick.  I was able to buy very cheap 50 x 110mm wide and 1550mm long strips from a cabinet maker.
Saved me a lot of sawing. All fixed with cs screws and fluid PU construction glue.
These materials, including the PU foam are a pleasure to work with.  I hope to present a complete diorama, including the base, to my quality standards, despite being no carpenter.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks

Well you say you're no carpenter but the construction looks very sound and up to your usual standards. That 12mm or 1/2" birch ply is wonderful stuff to work with isn't, if a little pricey. It's so stable, strong and light-weight in comparison to other plys and an excellent choice for benchwork.

Paul