• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray. I got several thousand of these....unfortunately only about 1/4 have been scanned so far.

These two are not mine...found them on the web some time back...don't recall where.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Jacq:

Valance height looks very good now, still a closely framed image but more balanced. The second module in place helps a lot.  Continuing the log pond through several modules will be much more interesting and enhance the sense of scale and believability.

Paul

jacq01

Start of the ground works.

To match the floor plane with the hillside in the back, a concrete wall was made to support the hydraulic pressure of the hill above.
  Concrete footings for the machinery and driveline bearings will be put in and the floor shaped accordingly. Only at logical working area's  the floor will be leveled with concrete or boards. The rest will be natural material ( with leftovers from the construction and maintenance, the so called junk  ;D ;D)

Concrete footing iwo first row of posts. Cleaning up still to be done. Possibly rework with finer tile cement.

First trial with normal cement with 1:48 figure. Possibly grain too large. Board impressions are barely visible.

Transferring machinery locations to ground floor.

View on the loading side of the mill.  The dam wall will be cast and the tressles for loghaul and bridge built.

Impression on how the mill fits on the module.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Belg

Marc, thanks for these pics great reference materials. Can I ask were there any kind of tiedowns to stop the railcars from tipping while the logs were dumped?

Jacq, you mentioned in another thread the idea of creating the "canyon view" of the road with the loggers homes, have you incorporated that into the next section and do you have a plan sketch perhaps on how to do this? Thanks Pat

jacq01

Pat,

imagine yourselve at the bottom of the canyon and looking towards one side. virtually the canyon is cut in two lengthwise and you look up to one side. I've done this with my H0 layout and many visitors remarked they had the idea standing/floating at the bottom and looking up to one side.

this initial plan should give you an idea. 

It is possible to create a real cayon view, but it will restrict seeing much. There was one layout built that way and many people complained they didn't see much. Beautiful details, but invisible/very hard to see, except for the operators. They stopped showing it after 2 shows.

Designing a scene I normally look at a much larger geograhic area than the scene I am going to built.
In this instance I have drawn a plan the size of  approx 300mm x 400mm ( an A3 sheet) with the important basic details and lay the outline of the diorama over it. I am moving this outline so often till I am satified. Sometimes I have to compress some distances or sizes, but I do not do this often.  I rather delete some items than sacrify credibility.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Belg

Jacq, by creating the second set of modules you definitely create the canyon effect with the use of some lower hillside on each side you can create some excellent viewing points. I guess they can be called ravines or gorges. You are trying to create a balance between viewing and exact reproduction correct? You said you would rather leave some things out to create a better design this would be an opportunity to add something to create a better result? Pat

jacq01

QuoteOnly at logical working area's  the floor will be leveled with concrete or boards. The rest will be natural material

Looking at photo´s of the Hume Bennett mill and remains of other mills, I am now considering making only concrete footings on the original
  rocks and cleared ground. It will give me a chance to model the rocky underground and it will offer a very nice contrast with the floor above.
  I am also not happy with the effect of the concrete seating under the beams and the proposed timber floor.
  Suggestions are welcome.

Jacq

I forgot to post this picture:

courtesy: railpictures.net
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Hello Jacq,

You said:
I am also not happy with the effect of the concrete seating under the beams and the proposed timber floor.  Suggestions are welcome.

They are too small... step back and look at how much weight is being applied to those footings...

I am sure you will see what I am talking about jacq. (those current footings in the real, would crumble in a very short time)

Mike

EDIT: I mean the small square ones (a little bigger - not much or maybe use the low wall connections in the photo above.)

jacq01

Mike.

the top of the concrete footings under the  12"x 12" pillars have a dimension of 18"x 18" . Is that too small ?  I found info on the web for concrete footing sizes. The real one is  approx 4'0" high and 30"x30" at the bottom, reinforced with steel.
The footings are in a raster of 12' x 12'6" and 10'x 12,5'  the loading should be within the post's loading according to Euler's law.

Should it be 24"x24" ?? I still can change it as I haven't cleaned up the parts /area yet.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Hello Jacq,

actually the 18"x18" would be the proper on the 12"x12", even though the 24"x24" would possibly work but look too big, I don't know if it is me or the photo... it just has this look about it... like it is missing something/strength as I know appearences can be decieving, just looks a little small for multi-levels... I am not one to argue with the math. ( I am going to go out early tomorow and get some footing photos... will see what I can come up with, I am on my home turf in New England for the next week and have some pretty good places to go look for reference and take some photos. (scratching my head on this one.)

I love the progress you have made on the modules btw.  ;D

Mike

Ray Dunakin

I think what makes the small footings look insufficient is the excessive coarseness of the mix, and subsequent rough finish. If the footing had a smoother finish it would look more substantial. IMHO.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Mike,
   thanks for the efforts..

Ray,
  you are right. For the wall the mix looks ok, but for the footing I'll have to use a finer mix to rework the surfaces.

here some samples of H0 concrete I made from tiling cement on a club module made more than 10 years ago and still in use.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

jacq01

While building the ground floor and working out the required lineshafts I run into a tricky problem.
  Foundation and footing of the part under the log storage and head saw are all in.

I am using some antique books and the following http://www.old-engine.com/belts.htm to check the lineshaft and pulley details.
As I have built an mirror image of the sawfloor of the Hume Bennett mill, the steam engines are sitting on the wrong place to get the correct tensions on the pullies. this means I have to rework the innitial positions and add a high power cross-over belt to get the correct rotation of the pullies for the saw and edger.   I'll put up photo's of the progress over the weekend.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Apart from the obvious modelling skill that's evident throughout this project, one of the most impressive aspects of this build is the amount of hard research that Jacq has completed and applied to every aspect of this project. We should all be so thorough in our work...

Paul