• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Rick,

QuoteYes, of course it is not finished yet, I should have realized that and refrained from commenting.
No offence, I am glad with the good observations and consequent remarks. Better one remark too much than none at all..

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Aplogosies Jacq

I know nothing about logging, but have noticed a lot of historic photos posted on this thread .......... came across this posted on the 7/8" site and thought it may be of interest

http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16680975.0;attach=28379;image

This one has gone into the file, for future builds ... make a great diorama

its an extract from Popular mechanics may1922

http://books.google.com/books?id=YdoDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&lr=&rview=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Warning, hours will speed by if you get sucked into looking through the old issues on line , believe me!
Gordon

jacq01

Gordon,

a bit scary, such a slope and rope as anti slip................. :o

QuoteWarning, hours will speed by if you get sucked into looking through the old issues on line , believe me!

Tell me something, I am hooked since receiving the book lumber as PDF  one and a half year ago. Had to go on a strict timetable for modeling, reading, modeling, food, sleep and oh yeh I nearly forgot, family and socializing  :D :D ;)

I have been too busy helping my son with his first graduate report.  We are still good friends after my remarks the contents.   ;D ;D ;D
He did a special project on molecular vacume coating working out the proces requirements for the steering electronics and IT for a new machine.
In 3 weeks he will leave for SKKU university in  Suwon  in Korea. He has been selected for the course nanotechnology and biomechatronics. A bit different piece of cake than naval architecture and marine engineering..
I am what I remember.

jacq01

I had some time for modeling. Snow shoveling went quicker than I thought. 

Scenery is progressing.  Fresh from the press as the glue hasn't dried yet so most earth coloursare too dark.
  When all is dry, the background can slide in place, presently still a white foamboard.............
   I am hesistating between painting or putting up a photo.
  There will be very little to no sky visible so grass, bushes and trees will be put in place first to see what will be the best solution.
  As trees will be young second growth and on the edge, they'll have branche right down.

Area around the switch. A lot still to be added.  Don't look at the colors  :-[ :-[ setting of the camera.......

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

And now it all starts to come together .... -- Russ

jacq01

With the scenery approaching the spot where the logdump will come, I'll have following questions.
   Marc showed in some earlier posts ( page 26) different unloading arrangements.

the Santa Cruz is not feasible as it is not possible to run through with a train.
   the Brooking is very attractive especially with a winch island/pontoon, similar to the WSLC.
   the Hume Bennet does not fit in between the 2 tracks and loos too much to some available commercial unloaders.
   the Madera Sugarpine is attractive with the boom support and winch up the hillside
   The Alberni is attractive with it's simple ginpole, similar as the Pino Grande with the winchdonkey on the hillside.

I am hesistating between the Madera Sugarpine - , the Brooking/WSLC - and the Alberni/Pinogrande systems.

Madera gives a vision point for structure and winch position.
   Brooking gives a nice division with the winchhouse on the module front and the spidery wiring arrangement
   Alberni  is attractive due to it's simplicity.

choices, choices, choices.... :-[ :-[  suggestions

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Depending on how much pond space you have (IE enough to not have logs crash onto the winch barge) I like that idea, because as you say it brings the scene to the foreground...and it creates visual layering to the module/scene.

Drop me a line befor you get too far on buildingany poles and rigging.....I have a good number assorted of CHB logging sheaves and would be willing to send you some if they fit the needed size and appearance.

Just as a note on the Brookings...it was not on a barge/raft there, but rather on the other side of the pond. I have sent you an email with three images that show the pond from another view than the previous ones posted here.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

The room available from the edge of the module to the slope is 10".  I will make a test set with some paper models to see how the different parts fit in together in this space. When the barge has a depth of 2" , the available space for the logs will be approx 8"  A dumping footprint for a scale 5'0" is 3"   I have my doubts as I do not want to squeeze it too much.  I'll put up photo's when I have it all set up.

Finally the snow has dissappeared, so I can get some "pine forrest" earth on my next walk in the woods. This has the same white-beige /grey color as seen in photo's of cuts in the photo's from Hume lake.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

Here a temporary set up to see how the arrangement with the winch barge looks.

The relation between the involved parts does not look too compromising.   

This set up offers some scenery possiblities behind the logdump together with the next 2 modules with the "town" buildings.

Overal set up. the track behind the mill is repositioned and the "whole in the wall" to the back modules will be hidden by trees and bushes.

the scenery has a base of PU foam carved to shape. Behind the mill the form is covered by basic rock castings, which are handcarved to match the complete rockface. The slope has a PU base, covered with tissues soaked in dilluted white glue and covered with a several layers of different garden and forrest ground. This material is first oven dried and sieved. Water level on the mill module is in place so slope transition between modules can be matched. The earth's color appears dark due to the fact that the glue is not dry yet. I hope it will lighten enough, otherwise I have to use the airbrush in some area's. 

There appears to be enough room to add some details, without making it overloaded.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Even if you decide to make some changes, the overall impression is very good. Is length of the the log dump slightly compressed? If so, extending it away from the mill probably wouldn't adversely affect the scenery. But I have not really studied Marc's photos or others; I just like what you are doing. (The light blue extruded foam hillside behind the dump looks especially impressive to my untrained eye!) -- Russ

jacq01

Here the test with the Madera Sugarpine system.

This is attractive as it is a divider for the train traffic compared with the previous post. It is also more dominating the scene and gives less possiblities in the background.

Comparing the two, I prefer the Brookings system.

Russ, as you are so fond of the "blue" green background slope, maybe I should leave it as " modern modelrailroad practice, together with Marc's advise for popsickle trees   ;D ;D ;D ;D   Maybe when doing that and sending photo's to Kalmbach/MR, I am elegible for a MRR certificate  ::)

Jacq

I am what I remember.

danpickard

Hi Jacq,
I've been enjoying your progress into the scenery sid of this layout, just haven't posted much lately.  I like the visual presence of the Madera set up, and I could see the general viewing public at exhibition liking the appeal of trains squeezing under the timber gantry.  As you said, it creates a good scenic divider as well, but does limit backscene possibilities somewhat.  What is the plan for the backdrop...painting in a continued scene, plain blue sky etc?  Leaving just an inch or so for the transition to the backdrop may be the issue more than anything using the Madera system.

Thanks for the updates,
Dan

jacq01

Hi Dan,

the backdrop will have hardly any sky.
Eyelevel is just under the lower edge of the valance. This means looking direct ahead, you look into the trees on the slope of the mountain/hill.   
I have not made up my mind yet or I will use a photo for the backdrop or paint the the forrest. There will be plenty of 3d trees ( like on my H0 layout ) in front of it to give the impression you look directly into the ( second growth) forrest.

I agree, the Madura set up is attractive, but I want to make a "soft" transition from the mill to the town structures. I am not a fan of  a selection of boxed highlights.  The total diorama has to draw the observer into the details, without forcing the attention with scenic dividers.   When it is done correctly the total layout from any viewing point to another will look natural and especially logical. 
This means that not always the most attractive, but the best fitting/matching solution will be used.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Unless you are an artist like Rembrandt, my inclination would be to find appropriate photos for the backdrop. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Or you can take the photos and run them through Photoshop to do some manipulation to soften them and give them a fit of an artistic touch as well as make them seem slightly faded/washed out (IE Scale Effect)...

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works