• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

Hi Jacq,

just catching up here and read your post regarding sawdust removal. May not be what you are looking for as these are taken at Sturgeons mill which is a double circular saw but may be of some help. The sawdust channels are a vee made up from planks in which runs a powered chain with 'paddles' attached which push the sawdust along the channels. Hopefully the photo's I managed to get are self explanatory. If you need any more help let me know. I also have lots of pictures of the engine on the ground floor and belt system up to the machinery.

regards

James

james_coldicott

...another

J

james_coldicott

Entering the slash burner...

james_coldicott

...and inside the slash burner- apologies for the photo quality- it's dark in there! Note that some of the channels are missing but the first picture shows how it is fixed to the underside of the floor. Obviously would be a different setup to collect sawdust from the lower wheel of a bandsaw but hopefully these will give you some idea.

Keep up the good work, a great project...

James

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on March 06, 2010, 12:56:20 AM
I am going to hire Nick to build a big tower with lots of corners. In each corner will be a modeling bench and tools. At least when you stand in the corner you will still be able to do some modeling. -- Russ
Oh sure, send us to detention and expect us to work as well...

Paul

jacq01

James,  thanks, some very nice close up details of the sawdust chain.

found this : http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2900/2907.html

Marty, there is also a nice fast running corliss with a cotton press after approx 10 - 12minutes.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Love that show!
Thanks for the heads up!
-Marty

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Sorry to be late here...unfortunately I have no other info on the equipment, They were just ads in the mag.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Quick and dirty update:

mill building finalised, groundfloor columns and bracing in position. Half the driving belts and pulleys in place.
  Decided to finish the mill, boiler- and engine house before finalising the landscape.
  Bridge across dam arch and log slip in place.

Base for water painted on the mill module. I normally use prussian blue, stippled on with a coarse a stiff brush. the water will be finished with fading further colors like ummber, green and ligher variant blue finished with a layer of acryl gloss (heavy) medium

The log carriage is just a trial to test the proportions. 

I am what I remember.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! I noticed there are rails going across the bridge over the dam -- what rides on those rails?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I was in Houston over the weekend and had time to visit some modeling friends there. They have been following progress on your diorama and are most impressed. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Nice progress!!  As always beautiful work!  Really impressed with this build.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

SWEET!.....Nice wood coloring on the ramp.

.....but please tell me you are going to change out that sickly non-realistic looking tree.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

In addition to the superb modeling, the sheer size of that mill makes it quite an imposing structure. What are the dimensions of the mill?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Quote.....but please tell me you are going to change out that sickly non-realistic looking tree.

It was put up to see or you are still sharp............... ;D ;D ;D ;D   
     Last week it turned out I am struck with hayfever and especially allergic for TREES.  :o :o :o  Which ones they couldn't tell but to play safe, the one on the layout will go for sure.

Ray,

the building is 860mm ( 34" ) x 305 ( 12") x 410 ( 16")   The full size footprint is 136'0" x 48'0" 

Now that spring is slowly showing, I will be able to take the module outside for photography.
     Till now most photo's were shot inside without a tripod as I can't turn my a.. in the workshop.
     Presently all the modules of the H0 layout with all its gear is taking up most room.
     Some finer scale work I have taken into the kitchen to the chagrin of my wife. To keep the good peace, I'll move the H0 layout to a short term storage facility after the show in Leverkusen. This makes room in the workshop so I can set up all the 4 modules of the mill diorama and have plenty of working space.

Jacq 

I am what I remember.