• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

I added the third module..... :P.

The logpond can be seen in full length ( 8'0") 
Track is laid, including the gauntlet and all wired.   Trains had their first run yesterday.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  No derailment and the bunks of the logging cars ride nicely over the brow when on the gauntlet track. I will use a long rooster to enable the operater to throw the gauntelet switches between loco and first waggon.

Footprints of all intended buildings on these modules have been added to see or all comes together as intended.
The hole, below the logbrow, is part of the working unloader. A hatch will close this opening ( with non visible edges) used to drop the
unloaded logs into a tray underneath the layout.

I replaced the tree that was annoying Marc with one without foliage  ;) ;D ;D
The water will gets the final colouring when at the back all is done, prior to adding all the logs, bucking saw and sinker catamaran, to prevent damages.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

LeOn3

Jacq,

It's looking great sofar. Can't wait to see it "life" someday.
One question though. How did you make the concrete at the pond?

Leon

finescalerr

You have been busy. The modeling so far is first rate. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

I really like the color and texture of this scenery, Jacq. It looks very natural and realistic.
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Looks great. Nice prototypical proportions and line of sight. Something rarely seen in any logging layouts.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

The start of the engine house:

Basics of main steam engines in place. Weathering, etc has been started in those places that will not be accessible when the building's walls will be up.  Models are Western Scale.  Concrete footings are made from plaster, made in a simple casting box made from carton and wood strips. Presently fabricating some platforms and stairs around the engines from 1,5mm L and some nicely made gratings from PSC.

Supporting frame for layout during exhibitions has been finished. 
The large H0 layout has been sold and will move to the new owner's premises after the show in Leverkusen 8-9 May.
It will be possible than to set up the complete Mill layout, so the supporting frame is needed.
This will enable me to see or all idea's come together as intended or that corrections are needed.

Too many things ongoing at the same time.................Scenery, details, rolling stock, structures, landscaping etc, etc, 

It's good fun,

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Looks good Jacq. I like those footings.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Would be nice to see one large panoramic shot of the whole thing once there is room for it.
May be one of those free hosting sites would be a good place to put it up?
The engines look great! I have often thought of building one in large scale just 'cause I like engines.
-Marty

finescalerr

Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

Wow, lots of fine detail in those engines!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

The details and colours of these engines and their concrete support are really convincing, Jacq.
Frederic Testard

BBLmber

Jacq, nice job on those steam engines.

Mark

jacq01

A little bit more work, w're slowly getting there......................

Boiler house first set up.

The boilers scratchbuilt with usable parts from the Western Scale and CHB horizontal fire tube boilers.
  I modified them to show sawdust burning types known as dutch ovens.
  The parts for the sawdust feeding chutes, small bunkers and delivery ducts are all cut but not assembled yet.

All related piping will be added. I am considering moving the boilers towards the edge of the module to be able to show with a cut out the inner parts of the boiler.
  The roof trusses are made from paper. make a crisp fold over of a glossy cover page ( heavy paper) and cut a strip of the required size 2", 3" what ever size you need and fold open, resulting in scale size angles with correct wallthickness.
Sizes here are 4" and 2.5" with 0,5" gussets and spacers.
The walls of the building are made from photoframe carton. After sealing and priming I will try  ::) ::) to make it look like concrete.

An overview of the end of the mill module with green chain deck, sawdust and slash conveyor will be added when boiler house is fixed in the landscape.

The engine house walls will be rebuilt. The template for the maintenance platform is ready, with sample of grating material.( PCS )
When boiler house is in place, I can finalise all piping from boilers to machines and cilinders all over the place.

Jacq

Jacq

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Looks like I will be the first to applaud your latest efforts. -- Russ