• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Hi Jacq,
It can be a bit difficult at first to part with a layout, but then the benefits of the large amount of fresh creative space gained from its departure can really inspire the modelling potentials in front of you.  Enjoy the new space, and I look forward to seeing the growth of this next monster.  Nice opportunity to get some more realistic lengths to the run of the line with a long layout like this, giving a truer impression of what a logging railway was like.  Good stuff...

Cheers,
Dan

jacq01

The landscaping kept haunting me , so I did the basics and start tommorow on the finish.

But first I like to get some advice.........
   With a few beers and quite some brandy inside me the colors etc looks very promising.
   The light green shade of the hillside, together with yellow and orange alternatives to Marc's popsicles is quite appealing and up to the NNG convention, but I haven't followed Russ his advise yet to add chains and antlers.

The last module of the 4 is now so far that the basics are done.
   All track is in with a 24"radius, curve compensated line dissappearing in a cut. It is very difficult when finished to see the openig to the back.
   Trains run well, one of the B'mann shays developed gear problems but B'mann send me a full replacement of shafs with gears and motor with gearbox. Was a big surprise.

This module will also have a workshop with some donkeys outside and small houses higher up.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

LeOn3

Jacq, good to see that the cut in the last module is going to be behind a workshop, so that a "mousehole" aint visible.
But on the other hand....with some beers and liquor you won't see that at all. ;D ;D ;D

Leon

jacq01

When finalising the basics for the landscape and senery I had to redo the slopes of the cuts along the track as the angle was not to my liking.
This angle has now been modified to the standards used and the transition to the normal groundlevel accentuated as seen in many photo's.

Scrutinising a lot of photo's it appears these cuts do have a lighter surface color than the more horizontal area's.
What is the prevailing color of the material in these cuts in the area I am trying to model (the Madera Sugar Pine Sawmill or the Hume Bennett mill) as now I have the change to correct it, finish the forrest floor and start planting the trees I have made.

I have been looking at fitting background photo's or "wallpaper".  One or two that appear usefull do have a pricetag and do not really offer what I am looking for. A small calculation showed me it will be cheaper to buy a color printer and do my own background photo's. Even an A3 inkjet turned out cheaper. As the background sheets can be inserted afterwards, I can experiment and prepare a good fittng collage myself.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

I am back at the points made in previous replies regarding balance of nature and landscape ( dam) colors.
When putting in the shape of the land, I realised that the compression, used to arrange the buildings, was too optimistic.  It is possible to built it as first drawn, but it is loosing it's " sense of realism". The "scenes" are loosing their space needed to exist in harmony with each other.
The complete diorama needs to radiate a correct balance and not an assembly of individual scenes with their compulsory scenic dividers.

I realise now that creating the atmosphere shown in Mumby photo needs at least twice the length to remain realistic as a model. This was only noticed after the landscape was taking shape.  Seeing this "discrepancy"  is like noticing a tiny star in your windscreen. As soon as it is noticed, it becomes very  annoying, to the extend that a replacement will be considered.

In this case I got up in the middle of the night to try some landscape idea's that appeared like projections on the inside of my skul.  :o :o
I took out nearly all the planned buildings on the far side of the track and deleted 2 on the front side to "harmonise" the landscape. Now it even looks more like the Madera Sugar Pine Lumber photo Marc showed.

Like Jean-Bernard André I believe a diorama has to tell a story. This means there are a protagonist and an antagonist to create a tension that
will attract the observer or "reader" without too many words and also gives a balance.
For me, the arrangement of all parts in the viewing frame has to show a natural setting without necessary tricks.  With all the applied and ( professionally ?) advised compressions, the sense of realism somehow has been lost and replaced by the "amusement park" arrangements seen on many layouts / diorama's as the most attractive . For many this type of layout now appears the standard.

The diorama shows a scale 234 m ( 750 feet)  Think what is in reality visible within these dimensions ..........and what can be presented realistic within these confinements when modeling 1:48 or whatever scale fancied. 
In that respect, each scale is facing specific problems.....solving these is the real challenge............... and fun.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

I think what you realized last night, Jacq, is that "less is more". -- Russ

danpickard

Jacq,
So what you're saying is that you now plan to build another 6 modules, yeah?   ;D

Dan

jacq01

Dan,

maybe... ;) first finish this part off. Than a 1:35 diorama I have already in my mind.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

here some progress.
The 2 modules most affected by the choice to reduce the amount of buildings. " Less is more" remark from Russ is spot on.
  Even when working along these principles and guide lines, it is very easy to add without realising it.
  Some test trees WITHOUT FOLIAGE placed to see what background will be the best.

The rebuilt cut in the landscape.  Colours are not comparable as 70% off ground cover is wet.

overall view. In the cutout where the shay stands, innitially I planned a single stall engine house. I consider replacing this with a small depot.
  of the short line.

The slopes have been finished on module 4, but all is too wet to show the correct colours.

When doing my daily bicycle trip on Wednesday, I'll collect, while in search for Marc's concrete fence posts, material for the forest floor and ground cover.

Last saturday the postman delivered a long awaited parcel with 2 CHB kits, DE330 a 3 drum ADH hoist engine and DE1000 as WSI loading engine. What a beautiful stuff. Before I knew I was fully engrossed in assembling the ADH kit as I saw directly how I could make the sub assemblies before painting. I ordered a new magnifying headband to built up the boiler correctly, what a details.... ;D ;D ;D

some quick and dirty photo's. I'll make proper ones when all are cleaned and fit correctly.
The accuracy ia amazing. the pinion and gears mesh so well, without much cleaning, that all drums rotate when one is turned.
Building instructions are medieval and a p.i.a. but that makes the challenge even larger. As Chuck said a long time ago "thank you mr Brommer"

For these donkeys I am looking for details of fitting sleds.
The Willamette will get a 40'0" to 50'0" sled. For the ADH I am not sure. If  used as a wide faced donkey I think 25'0" to 35'0" might do, but some more advise is appreciated.

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

After we spend $30 on Priority Mail it still took that long for the box to arrive? That's criminal! -- Russ

jacq01

Your parcel has not arrived yet  :o :o :o :o
   I received a check list from the post, in which they ask me to provide all details, which you marked already clearly readable, so they can assess this shipment as 1.gift, 2 commercial, 3 other.
I missed the question where they ask for the color of my underpants when the parcel will be delivered.  :D

In other words, it was selected to undergo a bureaucratic investigation or the information supplied by you is correct or not. As your sheet was included, it was not difficult to supply them with the correct info  8)

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on June 07, 2010, 11:56:51 AM
After we spend $30 on Priority Mail it still took that long for the box to arrive? That's criminal! -- Russ

You should have spent the $38 like me...it only took 7 days ;D.....though it took me 4 months to get it to the post office :-X :-\

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Jacq,

The AHD is looking nice....glad to see this being built and given the attention it desrves.

I will start feeding you donkey/sled info as we go/as I come across it and scan it or run it through PS.....so not necessarily in any special order.

The top image shows to sled runners under construction. On the right sled runner you can see a sled plate sitting on top of the runner waiting to be installed.

The bottom image looks like what would probably be a good sized sled for the AH&D. Note the different style of sled plate on this one, as well as the way the cable is looped through it and arond the runner.

I have segeral packages of sled plates...let me see which ones I have duplicates of, and possibly send you some.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

The top images shows a Yarder in the background, and a Yarder sled under construction at left (distiguishable by the large timber  for mounting the Fairleader unit).

The bottom image shows another view of a Yarder sled under construction.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is a sled constructed of cut timbers...this size would probably work for the AHD as well. Note the interesting hook design instead of the "through" sled plate.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Notice this donkey does not have an "on board" water storage...water seems to be being supplied directly via the pipe from a nearby water source. Note that this smaller sled has "ring-pull" type sled plates.

M-Works