• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Jacq,

I will measure the CHB Oil burner concversion kit that I have, that was made for the Willamettes.

Donkeys were both wood and oil fired but oil firing came later and not all operations adopted it, as wood was still the cheapest and easiest/most readily available fuel source. Tanks were both steel and wood, as you can read in those articles and see in the images. Water for early Dolbeers and M&C units was often also supplied by horses and mules.  I also have a photo that shows water box sleds....small two compartment water tanks mounted on sled runners that were dragged by horses or mules.......but I think for you I would maybe do a wooden tank on the AH&D and a cylindrical steel tank for water. (the cylindrical tanks were also done in two compartments...one for water and one for oil......the oild was brought to them via rail (tank cars)....but the water tank generally had a water supply connection of some sort that pumped or siphoned water in....or even a simple downhill gravity feed line.

I think a 40' flatcar for a 30" gauge would seem a bit wierd and out of scale/proportion.....I would use some decent disconnects or load it on two 24' flats. In the FMW build thread I did a 28' flat, and IMO that still seems to look OK on a 30" gauge track. (you could also load it on a 28' flat and use "roosters" in the L&P couplers to space the cars or loco as needed to clear the sled) One "visual problem is the width of the Donkey sled...say around 9'-6"...and the width of a 30" gauge car (generally around 7') or 30" gauge log bunk/disconnect...It would possibly look a bit too "tipsy". (Westside, SPLCo and other companies did haul donkeys on 36" gauge flats)

I was actually going to suggest using flat cars in general for your operation, instead of disconnects.....as there are no decent looking 30" disconnects out there.

I have some 36" gauge brass disconnect kits (I think 6 of them) that I need to get rid of...that could possibly be regauged to 30"...and they will definitely look better than the Bmann ones or any of the other 30" ones out there.  I'll take some pics of the parts if you are interested. 

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Marc988

How about the disconnects? These are both available in 3' and 30".

I haven't seen these in real live but the pictures look promissing ...

jacq01

Marc988,

I have 5 sets of BM disconnects. 2 sets assembled but not painted yet. Very nice, coupler hight pocket is for 0n3. For 0n30 the coupler can be fixed underneath the pocket.

When the donkeys are done, I'll start, beside landscaping etc, on rolling stock.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Gentlemen, I edited the post because that manufacturer has cheated me and others. I will do everything possible to spare you the aggravation of dealing with such a dishonest and sociopathic business and if you choose to do it anyway, please keep any references to them or their products off this site.

As you know, this is not the kind of thing I do lightly and I don't think I have done it before. I have very good reasons for my actions and hope you understand.

Russ

jacq01

Marc,

please show some photo's, Beside the ones mentioned, I have 5 pairs On30 from The Model Factory from NZ with correct coupler hight etc.
  and 24" wheels. I have a 8 small skeletons from BV, out my the time I was complete ignorant of what the real ones looked like...
  I don't have the B'mann skeletons, only the skips..
  The ones you and Marty built as shown on the Terrapin site are interesting, the one Russ built in 1:32 is too small for a logging operation as I am trying to built.

The ADH donkey is except for the valve control system finished. Tomorrow I'll take some photo's prior to painting. I am looking for good waxed 0,3 -0,5 mm waxed rigging tread to spool the drums.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

FWIW I have three sets of the ones pictured and they are crap.
They look nice but will not work for On30 and one who wishes to operate a layout.
Besides they are a bitch to assemble.
-Marty

jacq01

Marty ,

yes  I agree, not the easiest to built.
  KW offers several types wooden disconnects, one expensive in wood and a cheaper one in white metal. Are they usefull ?
  I had an idea about the white metal ones, use them as base/weight and cover them with wood to represent a type as built by Marty.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

lab-dad

After I got the "other" kits and gave up I built my own.
They have a rooster and run fine in a string of three; empty (or full).
Unc, published an article on them, and I think I may have the instructions.......
-Marty

jacq01

Marty,

QuoteI think I may have the instructions.......

I asked you a long time ago and you reffered to Russ....and Russ to you  so  :( :(

But I have enough to do..

the ADH donkey is ready for the painter. The drums will be fixed after the wires have been wound.

Here a little tour:

the glass was made from clear sprue, heated, pulled out and the right diameter selected and cut.
   the bars next to the glass are single strand e-wire. They will be straightened when the glue has set.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Nice work on the donkey, Jacq.

If you or anyone really needs info on Marty's disconnects, I could try to dig up the lo-res PDF and e-mail it. Please note, I will do that only for someone who absolutely NEEDS the article and will actually build models (as opposed to intending to build them).

Marty, should that happen, it would help me if I knew when I published the article. I can't remember! (Either because of Alzheimer's or having been in business too long ....)

Russ

jacq01

Russ,

QuoteIf you or anyone really needs info on Marty's disconnects, I could try to dig up the lo-res PDF and e-mail it.

yes please,

Jacq
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Info & pictures are on it's way.

The pictures of the Donkey almost look like builders etchings!
I am surprised you assembled before any finishes.
-Marty

jacq01

Marty,

all arrived ok.,  thanks.

The donkey drums still can be removed.  I am waiting for the wires to go on the drums.
  With the drums removed all area's are easily accessible, so painting and weathering will be no problem. I'll checked this during the test fitting of 
  parts and subassemblies.
  Jacq

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Jacq, do you still need the PDFs or did Marty send everything? -- Russ

jacq01

Russ,

I received an exploded view with material sizes and 2 photo's.  Enough info to enable building a number of sets.
  Thanks for all the efforts

Jacq
I am what I remember.