• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

He got all there is and more!
-Marty

jacq01

AHD donkey progress:

36'0" sled from 36"x24" timber. basic material is ( hard grade) balsa.

colored with dirty terpentine. To be finished with further washes and powders.
  Fairleads,sledplates, etc under construction or ordered.

Tension rods, decking and sidewalk still to be added, before superstructure will go on.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Looks good, Jacq! Seems like nice proportions for the sled.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Nice work on the donkey and sled. Good proportions. Found this tonight while digging out images...in case you need a wood tank on that ;) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Work has started on a wooden watertank approx 600 gallons.
  I also did some work on the landscaping.
  Still waiting for the correct colored flocking material for the trees and grass.

I replaced the old cut out. When the glue has dried, burned grass, the undergrowth and trees will finish the scene.
  Trees are reperesenting second growth and are made from 15 and 20 mm balsa round and square. Branches are made from ripped apart oven filters. Green will be mix Woodland ( only flocking material that comes close to the green color from photo's of trees near Hume lake or Converse basin).

Stumps are from salvaged pine from the forest floor.  Diameters vary from 0,5" to 2" and larger.

eye's level view .

detail photo's of finished donkey will follow shortly. Tank and superstructure under construction.
Did these wide face donkeys carried fairleads ? The loaders do what I can see on Marc's photo's and in books.

5' dia x 16' log in transport.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Looking real good!
Love the scene coming along!
Some donkeys had multiple fairleads depending on the operation/use.
Remember, the logs need to be a little longer than the finished boards.
I know 'cause my mill cuts 16" sixteen foot lumber,  ;D so our incoming logs are about 17'4"
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Nice real Nice!!  The scenery is coming along great.
One of the best mills ever modeled.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Philip Smith

Quote from: lab-dad on June 24, 2010, 09:44:39 AM
Looking real good!
Love the scene coming along!
Some donkeys had multiple fairleads depending on the operation/use.
Remember, the logs need to be a little longer than the finished boards.
I know 'cause my mill cuts 16" lumber,  ;D so our incoming logs are about 17'4"
-Marty

Looks great Jacq! Nice details

Just 16" Marty ;D

Philip

RoughboyModelworks

This is coming along beautifully Jacq. The consistent level of craftsmanship throughout is impressive, especially given the speed at which you're working. It's been a real privilege to follow this project from the its inception.

Paul

jacq01

Basic landscaping of 2 module finished and watertank base in place.
   Still waiting for the finishing material for trees, bushes ( > 4 weeks   >:( >:()  and structure hardware like tank hoop fasteners, etc.

Before finalising the finer details of the forest, all electrics will be connected and tested.

The shay I was able to purchase from Bernard arrived and after the first priod of admiration, the cab and tank wil be removed shortly to install a decoder, crew and cordwood load over the motor.

The puzzle of contradictions of all  idea's, wishes and realistic limitations appears complete, so the finishing touches.......

Jacq

I am what I remember.

finescalerr

But it's all coming along. Too bad the coloration of the photos is so far off. I think you forgot to set your white balance for incandescent bulbs. -- Russ

eTraxx

Looking good. I need to read up on setting the balance for photos .. I usually just fiddle with the controls until it looks right .. but seriously need to understand what I am doing! I played with one of the photos a bit to try and get the colors better ..

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

jacq01

Russ,

mea culpa.  ::)

Presently the modules are in the most unfavourable position for photography.  >:(

Jacq 
I am what I remember.

LeOn3

Quote from: jacq01 on July 06, 2010, 07:31:49 AM

Presently the modules are in the most unfavourable position for photography.  >:(

Jacq 

But since my last visit... it's still looking great.

Leon

finescalerr

See how much better the MODELING looks when the color is more accurate? I was able to infer that but the corrected color of the water tank photo removes most of the guesswork. I hope all visitors to the site now will appreciate the outstanding artistry and craftsmanship. -- Russ