• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Welcome back! The Vasa would be a neat thing to see in person.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Welcome back Jacq... we've been missing you here. Sounds like it was quite a good road trip, customs officials not withstanding. No sense of humour those people. I agree with Chuck, seeing the Vasa would have been a real treat...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Welcome back, and thanks for sharing those pics! Congrats on getting to drive that loco, too.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

The area looks very pretty and the trip must have been a lot of fun. But we're all glad you are back with us again. -- Russ

jacq01

logged over area in northern Sweden.  I haven't discovered yet why they leave a number of full grown trees standing.
   This is seen on all logged over area's seen.

The VASA:

1:10 model

diorama showing the sinking of the Vasa on it's maiden trip after sailing only a very short distance.

The real one :

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Frederic Testard

Jacq, when I had the pleasure to visit Troels Kirk in Sweden last year, he suggested we visited the Vasa museum in Stockholm and it was a pleasure to discover this almost intact ship which has spent nearly 350 years underwater.
He also mentionned that if we went back to France via Nederlands (which we had planned to do before a paper and card robbery when we were leaving Sweden lead us to change our mind), we could visit the Batavia which was, if I remember well, rebuilt after a ship that sank at the end of her first trip (contrary to the Vasa who sank less than one hour after her launching). I suppose that you know this one.
I suppose you haven't managed to visit Troels when you came back from Sweden. It might have changed your point of view on his wonderful layout...
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Thanks for those photos of the model and real Vasa. She was a beautiful ship.

Glad you had a great trip (the salt mine sounds fascinating), sorry to hear about the technical glitch on the wiring. Are you going to have to go back up once the parts get in, or were you able to fix it?

Good luck with getting your new modules done for the show.....please post pics of them.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

Thank you for sharing your trip virtually with us Jacq. Good that there were only minor glitches and all went safely.

finescalerr

I love old sailing ships as much or more than I do train stuff. To see a full size original? AMAZING! Thanks! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

What an amazing ship. Hard to believe it's been underwater for 350 years. What caused it to sink so soon after launch?

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 23, 2010, 08:52:43 PM
What an amazing ship. Hard to believe it's been underwater for 350 years. What caused it to sink so soon after launch?

Someone forgot to put the plug in !

Frederic Testard

This was the first time Swedish marine layered so many rows of cannons on a ship, and they apparently underestimated the problem of weight balance this would cause, with the higher part of the ship too heavy. So despite additionnal ballast in the keel, the boat nearly capsized after a first gust of wind 20 minutes after the launch and a stronger gust made her capsize after less than one hour. About 50 men out of the 150 were killed.
If I remember correctly, the wreck was located in Stockholm bay in 1956 and the raising lasted for five years. The museum was then built around the ship.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Nick, go stand in the corner. Or stay in the corner. Or find a less interesting corner. You know what I mean! -- ssuR

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on September 24, 2010, 12:51:59 AM
Nick, go stand in the corner. Or stay in the corner. Or find a less interesting corner. You know what I mean! -- ssuR

Right oh , Boss .

Ray Dunakin

Amazing. Proof that government incompetency has been around a long time.  ;)

Ray Dunakin's World