• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damn Cranky

Crazy About Rust!

RoughboyModelworks

Very nicely done Jacq... it's been a treat and a privilege to watch this project over the past two+ years develop from concept state to exhibition ready. Best of luck with the debut showing and safe travels...

Paul

shropshire lad

Warley , NEC , Birmingham , England .

Quick Report .

Show went very well , with a few teething problems but nothing of any great significance . The " Great Unwashed " were all suitably impressed with the layout and the working log unloader kept them interested for hours . One addition that was discussed is the installation of a small nozzle hidden in the log dump that sprays water on the unsuspecting public every time a log rolls off a disconnect . Should be hilarious for the operators .
Did not win best in show but should have .
  Marcel and his layout were also there , which was the last time he will be showing it in public . He will be retiring it to his living room . He is working on a new layout . Looking  forward to seeing progress on that .

I'm sure Jacq will post some decent photos when he gets back but for now here are a few crappy ones I took .

Nick

shropshire lad

A couple more .

Ray Dunakin

The amount of detail in all those machines is amazing. The metal shavings around the lathe are a nice touch too.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Nick, thank you for sharing your crappy photos. Given the circumstances and the fact that, had you not posted them, we would have seen NOTHING, they are darned good. -- Russ

danpickard

Thanks for the happy snaps Nick, I'm sure there will be plenty more still to come.  I still look forward to seeing the further development of the layout.  Hope it was an enjoyable weekend.

The new layout thing by Marcel naturally got me a bit keen...

Cheers,
Dan

jacq01

Just returned from bringing a crewmember home. 
  Thanks Nick for all the help with the layout, your sense of humor and your small layout . Your presence and help added to an very memorable weekend.

I will post photo's tomorrow, including comments and an impression of best in show   ;) .

Marcel won the large scale award.  With my large H0 layout I received "the best in show" in 2006, so........

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

narrowgauger

Jacq

great stuff and (yes) some tough competition at the show.  Now looking forward to your 1:35 layout as the next major project.  Perhaps we should do something inter-active with a "branch line" to Australia.

By the way the shop forman at the mill should be fired for allowing the crew to leave all that swarf at the lathe.  dangerous working conditions.  you are going to have to stand in the corner for this breach of the OH&S rules.

having said all that, I agree your series has been a great inspiration to us all.  Hence the call for a sequel.

Hope you are still friends with Nick after 2 days at the show.

have fun, keep us inspired and above all stay cool

Bernard

TRAINS1941

Jacq,

After following this terrific thread from the beginning it finally makes it's first appearance.  Just an excellent job on the mill and machine shop.

Nick thanks for the pictures.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

here a serie overview photo's.

an overal frontal impression after Nick and I figured out where each part had to go.

endview of mill.  Live rolls main line and cut lumber to green chain to be finalised, together with adding a crew.  crew figures are in the process of modifications  :o  Now it is a bunch of loose limbs, heads and torso's. Maybe not such a wise decision  ::) ::) ::)  we'll see

the crew members were so enthusistic about the working logdump, that the raced the shays and climaxes back to the storage yard in the back to reload as quick as possible.
  as the log recovery system was not finalised,  the following rule was used. When taken a beer from the crate, one had to go underneat the the layout to recover the dumped logs at least three times to prevent the increase of the all present beer bellies.

the donkey repair area

the chain in the hand of the logger can move under the logs on the disconnects and after tensioning, the log rolls into the pond and dissappears through a camouflaged balanced hatch into a collecting tray. between the permanent logs in the pond a methode is under investigation to create a "splash" effect when the logs hit the hatch. Possible a derivative of a toilet door squirter  ;D

the unfinished workshop. I removed 2days before packing the boiler/machine room and smith's workshop as it was not to my liking.
all belting, shifters and crew will be added soon.

mill detail. I am looking for different leds to improve the light color in the mill.

And than came sunday evening, packing and preparing for loading never went so fast.

Nick making a lumber load for the empty flatcars with " donated by the NEC" coffy stirrers

part 2 tomorrow

HERE the "Best in show" 

Jacq

I am what I remember.

jacq01

I am what I remember.

lucas gargoloff

Ahhhhh!! Jacq, what a piece of art!! I like it!!!
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

danpickard

Welcome home Jacq,
I really like the overall view shot...gives a great perpective of realistic space, and so much more believable in proportions to what I guess is the more typical portable layout presentation (ie cram in the details).  The long scene works well as a great presentation space also for some decent length logging trains.  The wall of trees comes up as quite imposing (actually reminds me a lot of the impact we were aiming for with our Dolly Varden effort), and the mill sits as a significant feature at the end.  The framed layout also comes up as a very neat finish (actually a discussion happening on another forum as to why this style of boxed diorama style display with the self contained roof and lighting isn't used more in the US, but more common in Europe, UK and Australia). 

Congratulations of meeting your deadline (almost!), and I await the further details to make to scene really come to life, completing the story of where, when, who and why...

Cheers,
Dan
PS: more pics from the rest of the exhibition are also most welcome ;)

Ray Dunakin

Magnificent! The realism is incredible, very well done. I like the fact that there is a believable amount of space between features.

Quote"crew figures are in the process of modifications    Now it is a bunch of loose limbs, heads and torso's."

Just add a little red paint and call it a tragic shop accident.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World