• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Here are some more wooden ones...these are from a Redwood logging operation near Arcata, CA

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Some more wooden ones from a Washington operation (probably Doug fir or Spruce).

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

I have more images, many not scanned...and those that are, are either of the wrong types, too funky, redundant, or dont show wel] in the images.

Next I'll have to go through my catalogs to see if there is anything relevant. If so I will need to scan it first....but for now this should be good to start any discussion.....if not I have something that might help ;) ;D

M

M-Works

jacq01

Hè  Hè, rub it in, rub it in.......  but that kick woke me up  ;D ;D ;D

I know you have a Russel catalogue.   :D   Does it shows decent/useable  details of # 44 type cars ?   And/or  20'- 22' skeletons ? 
   The Mc Leod Russel trucks have a wheelbase of 3'5" and 26" wheels  ( according to the Al Armitage drwgs) will be hard to fit ( courtesy Jerry )   

I will make 2-3 cars with these trucks with 24"wheels and see how they survive the testing phase at home before they hit the exhibition misuse.
   The big advantage will be a standard height and width of the bunks for all cars in use in conjunction with the logbrow height and unloader.

Experimenting with the PSC disconnect showed some possiblities. I'll post my rebuilt efforts.....

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

I'm a little confused....what do the McLeod trucks have to do with the Armitage drawings?...they are two completely different animals.

The Russel catalog only has "cuts" like those posted and some owner information. I have been able to pretty accurately extrapolate the complete car details and info based on these pages. The catalog does have skeletons as well.

I have other mfr catalogs that have more info, some include drwgs....but they may be the wrong type of disconnects.....I need to look.

There are back issues of Timber Times, and Tall Timber Short Lines that have disconnect drawings.......that will take a bit of digging(as there are a LOT of issues to check through) and I will have to scan and send you that direct....as it is not mine to post.  I don't know of they have any drws of the #44 Russel cars or any sim. 

I have a couple of larger blueprint drawings of log cars....but they are more along the lines of the Echo Mountan type .....and the drawings are too large to fit my scanners.

Look forward to what you come up with for the PSC disconnects.

M

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Got to say Marc I know nothing about logging operations and in general its not and its not a rail industry I'm particularly interested in but the photographs you have posted are just wonderful to look at both in terms of atmosphere and the details they show.

You must have some collection .... thanks for taking the time to post
Gordon

EZnKY

Here's a set of disconnects built by the St. Charles Car Company in St. Louis.  (Courtesy of http://www.youranswerplace.org/st-charles-car-company)

Not sure if it's relevant...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

jacq01

Quotewhat do the McLeod trucks have to do with the Armitage drawings

The Mc Leod trucks are the only ones I know of.  For the skeleton cars I was thinking of using these trucks with the correct wheelbase.

If you have detailed information about disconnects / skeleton cars used in the area I am trying to model , fantastic.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

I still dont see how the Al Armitage drawings I posted and the McLeod Russel trucks have anything in common....but anyway......

I have the following for you, and can mail them to you if you are interested:

Xerox copy of a really good 8-page article by Ken Schmelzer from  the Jul-Aug 1994 Tall Timber Shortlines magazine, called "Logging Technology: The Disconnected Log Truck" good information on the eveolution and varieties of disconnects. Has photos and pages of technical drawings for cetrain trucks.

Xerox copy of a 3-page article by Charles Brommer (CHB) on On3 Disconnects [from Timber Times magazine]

Xerox copy of a 5-page article by Charles Brommer on scratchbuilding an On3 PC&F (Pacific Car & Foundry) Mich. Cal type of skeleton log car. Includes photos, parts list, and some basic technical drawings. [from Timber Times magazine]

Xerox copies of two good articles by James Hauff, on building a pair of 1:20.3 scale CSF&E disconnects (those are the ones in the Armitage drawings I posted), and a tank car made from a set.

9 duplicate magazines of Tall Timber short lines (incl. the Oct-Dec. 1994 Issue which has a large article on various SC&F (Seattle Car & Foundry), WIW (Washiington Iron Works), PC&F (Pacific Car & foundry), including technical drawings and photos.

2 duplicate magazines of Timber Times.

I can  send you all this if you cover postage (probably about $30 due to weight and if I send it Flat Rate Priority w/ tracking.) ....let me know, and I can put it in the mail on Monday.

I also found some good info in my Seattle Car & Foundry catalog, and will post it as soon as I can scan it.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Ok....to adress your question re. skeletons, If it were up to me I would use the Russel #2 type. (especially given the time period and the scale of the operation) These were very common cars throughout the US. There were other mfrs. such as PC&F (Pacific Car & Foundry) that made very sim cars that would be equally usable. 

The one big problem with the skeletons in On30 is the turning radius, as the inside of the wheels tend to hit the center sill...they would probably work fine for the curves you have on the viewing side of the modules...but not sure they could make your turn into and out of the staging area in back.

Flatcars would be another very typical mode of log transportation for the timeframe/operation....though you would need to modify your unluading system/mechanics.

First, here are the Russel # 2 cars:

M-Works

marc_reusser

These are slightly heavier Russel #24 cars that would work as well:

M-Works

marc_reusser

...as would these #26 cars.

M-Works

marc_reusser

The following posts are three images of Russel #2 cars in use at Brookings Lumber & Box Co., in California.

Note that they have inserted stiffening poles/braces between the bunks. These could also be used for tieing extra binding chains to. They were inserted into the square holes in the bunks (see mfr image).

M-Works

marc_reusser

Underside view....

M-Works

marc_reusser

...and a detail/closer view.

M-Works