• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Note the image below. This is sim styyle of car like those being discussed...based on the region where it operated, it could be a Russel, or a Kilby, or it could just as well be from a smaller local company like the one shown in the advertisement.

Note that the car in the photo also has braces that run between the bunks...but on these cars they are square beams, which can be seen notched into the underside of the bunks at the ends.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

These cars manufactured by Climax Mfg. Co. (yes, the same company that made the locomotive) are again sim to those being discussed.....Climax cars however (as far as I know), were used primarily on the east coast and upper midwest, as they were the early developments of this style of car and used in the initial areas to be logged in the US.

I will post some sim. AC&F cars, as soon as I can get them scanned.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Something to keep in mind when talking about wood disconnects and skeletons is that these cars were also often sold as steel parts kits only; meaning that all the hardware and wheels was shipped to the end user, and their company shops/carpenter cut the wood pieces and assembled them there based on the mfr. drawings/info. Thus there was the chance that the individual company shops might do minor changes/modifications to the cars to make them more tailored to their specific needs.

Other variations from an original mfrs design would/could occur when the cars were rebuilt in the co. shops after wrecks, or when parts gave out.  Logging companies when rebuilding cars might not necessarily go back to the original mfr. for replacement metal/steel parts...they might have their shops make them, or contract out with a local foundry to make castings........this also lead to small local/regional foundries making log car parts (Redding Iron Works, in Northern CA. is a good example of this that springs to mind.)...sometimes these parts might incorporate changes/improvements based on the customer or regional needs (or to avoid direct patent infringement.)

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Found this really cool pic in my files.

The image shows what appear to be Russel log cars stacked by the side of the track, while the loader loads the car being spotted by the locomotive. Once the car has been loaded, the locomotive and full car will back down, creating space for the loader to place another car on the track for loading. This will  then be repeated till all the cars by the side of the tracks have been loaded.  A wood boomed skidder can be seen on a spur behind the loader.

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

Marc, this Norwood picture would certainly make the subject for an intriguing model scene but it might be hard to convince viewers the dio hasn't been simply earthquaked during the trip to the exhibition...
Frederic Testard

jacq01

Marc,

one moment nothing, the next moment  too much.....  ::) ;D   That is great news

yes please send the info, let me know postage cost and I'll transfer the amount.

This info will keep me quiet and busy for a while...  ;D ;D  Fantastic....

I did som  modifications on the brass parts of one set PSC disconnects.  The relevant metal parts are being made from styrene for testing.
  For the model parts I'll make a NS etch parts.   I'll keep this on hold untill I have your info.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Figured I better get this info posted before the coming work weeks kick in....otherwise I was not going to get it done. ::)  :)  Not sure other than the one mag, the others will be directly applicable...but I am pretty sure you will find them interesting reading.

The following 6 posts are images from the 1913 Seattle Car & Foundry catalog. (I will include the original high res. scans on a disk in the package)...there are many more trucks in the catalog, but I feel that these are the closest to what you are working with, and to the time period and scale of your operation.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Hercules 70,000 lb. truck.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Hercules 70,000 lb. High Truck.

I need to look at the kits, but I believe this truck is sim to the On30 truck that Backwoods Miniatures produces (which I believe are recasts/reconfiguration of the old Don Winter trucks, which were pretty highly regarded) The problem with the Backwoods truck is that it has that idiotic and ugly Kadee coupler box screwed to the underside of the center sill.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Hercules Specs

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Snohomish truck.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Snohomish Specs.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Just for interest, This image from the catalog of the Kilby Car Co. in  Anniston Alabama  shows how companies built regionaly specialized cars/variants.

Again, sim design/concept to the Climax, Russel, ACF, etc....but different.

BTW. for those that are interested in old catalogs, of primarily Southern logging equipment, such as the catalog this image came from,(but other logging equipment catalogs as well) you can purchase CD versions from:

Tony Howe on his website here:
http://www.msrailroads.com/Catalog_index.htm

M

M-Works

jacq01

Great stuff.  I can't wait for the mail to arrive.   ;)  ;D ;D

On the model trucks : I kept mentioning Mc Leods as these are the only ones I know. If there are alternatives in other materials, please let me know.
      I like the McLeod trucks as they appear near to scale. For On30 matching wheelsets I'll go for the new FWM ones. Testing these under the brass disconnects at the moment.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.