• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Echo Mountain disconnects.

sideframes were drilled out and tapered for easy rolling wheelsets.
due to the filigraine details, allignment of assembled frame was not easy. All parts soldered with a resistance soldering unit.

lower and upper bolster parts added and wedged in place with some scrap wood strips. When properly alligned it was a pia to fit the 10 miniature springs between the bolster parts.
glueing the springs was no alternative due to size of springs. The whole range of dutch "four letter "words and more were used before the springs were in place. I have not tried to remove the scrap wood wedges.

a finished car before fitting of link and pin couplers the brass longitudinal members are replaced with timber ones.
the timber will be removed for painting. I am trying various methodes to fit the l&p couplers, the original is compared to the FMW couplers too coarse.

an update on the PSC cars variant :

wooden deck similar to the Russell car.  I have not found a satisfactory solution for the end beams.

A BM set after the abuse of a 3 day show:

the l&p couplings definitely are an improvement over the kadee solution.

All cars have, after some extensive adjustements, outstanding rolling abilities. It is possible to push a loaded 8 set train through a 19" curve to the logdump.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

It looks like a lot of time and effort to produce a single pair of properly functioning trucks. How many pairs do you need? -- Russ

lab-dad

The Echo mountain ones sure are pretty!
I can relate to the assembly issues, even knowing that I'd like to get a couple.
-Marty

jacq01

A bit tired of trying to built good looking logging cars I have started with the PSC 16 ton Shay. I wanted to built this loco with the proper set of mind.
  The trucks are being converted from On3 into On30. This will be built when in the right mood.  :)

the cylinders.   The original set was deformed to the extend that there was a misallignment in exess of 1 mm and beyond repair.
                        courtesy PSC they send a new set of cylinders, but the wrong one for a straight boiler.
                        Finally after 6 weeks I received a correct set.

Everything is soldered with a RSU with fine tweezers with various power settings, the heavier work is done with a probe at 250 W.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Intersting. I just recently got my plastic version of this loco out for it's yearly hem and haw and what can I do with this. I haven't packed it away just yet!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Nice, clean work, Jacq. Building with brass is a dying art and I admire your skill. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I agree..nice build so far.
What paint do you use on your plastic to give it that brass look?  ;) :P ;D ;D ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 01, 2011, 01:37:39 PM
I agree..nice build so far.
What paint do you use on your plastic to give it that brass look?  ;) :P ;D ;D ;D

Marc

Alclad , of course .

Nick

lab-dad

I am looking forward to seeing the conversion of the trucks,
I would like one of these Shays to replace the B'man ones i threw in the street.
-Marty

jacq01

Marty, 
  the assembly of the rear truck. I followed the advice I received from Bernard. 
  The bolsters are cast according to plastic masters and the sides connecting to the sideframes are NOT straight.
  for On30 not a problem and the bolster width was milled to 21,90mm with parallel sides.
  I replaced the bearing journals on the non driven side from brass ones to celon ones ( PSC part no PSSH8053-1) as extra safeguard against shorts)
  In a jig one sideframe was soldered square to the bolster, journals, springs, wheelsets and the other sideframe were added and the second sideframe soft soldered at the bottom to the bolster. This assembly is than oiled on bearings and pinion gears and tested for rolling performance  ( don't forget to add a weight on to of the bolster to load the springs)
  With the weight added it is free rolling on staight and curved track. All crossmembers, brakehangers and brakebeams are trimmed and will be soldered to the trucksides before being joined together again.

As there is more work ongoing, here an update on the landscaping:

Watertank module. Mechanisme for moving waterspout is not working reliably, so will be replaced  >:(
  A lot of grass tufts added. All the grass has been newly colored to give the burnt grass look.
  ( on the photo's the grass looks less beige than in real, maybe due to white balance, flouresence- tubes and led-tubes)

area in hand with planting tufts.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jacq01

Someone send me following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIcwX1ElzBY

One of the crew is learning to dump logs .  As too many logs didn't fall in the water correctly, the near side chocks on the bunks have been removed to enable the logs to roll off without twisting on the cars.

The boiler and engine house for the workshop with details is nearly finished and the landscaping improvements are in the final stage.
  I hope to have the PSC shay finished by the next exhibition in October.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

danpickard

Hi Jacq,
Thanks for the link.  I quite like the colouring as it showed in the clip, and the scales/proportions of the scenery to the actual scene make for a very nice looking layout.  I see what you mean about the log dump practice  ;D.  Do you also have any photos of the rear of display set up?  No rush to get them if you don't, but next time the layout is up and running on display, I 'm always interested to see peoples ideas for behind the scene management/construction.

Cheers,
Dan

Ray Dunakin

Looks great! Nice smooth operation of the train too.

I don't quite understand how the log dump works. The chain lays across the tracks somehow, then is pulled up to push the logs off. How does the train drive over the chain, and why doesn't the chain dump the whole car and not just the logs??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Really nice video Jacques! For some reason it stopped after five minutes but I´ll try again. Also thanks for your ideas about my wall!

Anders  ;D