• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narrowgauger

Hi Jacq,

thank you for posting the video, which really does justice to your wonderful layout.

I was also pleased that the Shay performed well and operated at the speed it should.  Nice to know that it did not cause any embarresment at the show.

Looking forward to seeing how your Shay is progressing.

Bernard

jacq01

Bernard,

the performance of the large shay is fenomenal. 
   With a Kuehn mini decoder the loco can crawl with a speed of 4" in 10 minutes. 
   I hope I can get the performance of the PSC shay on par with your loco when using the driveline change recommendations you send me.

Anders, strange, I am able to see the full ten minutes.

Ray,  the logdump operation will be explained in an article I am preparing for Russ.
   Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Philip Smith

Great video and the Shay looks awesome!

Philip 8)

marc_reusser

Looks Beautiful Jacq! Congratulations!

Will you be doing a more reflective/clear/waterlike surface in the pond (like a thin resin or gloss acrylic medium) as part of the final work?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Ray,

In real life a guy would  have to take the unloading chain, crawl under the car and hook it to the inside of the brow log...the unloader, tightened the chain and the logs rolled into the dump....the guy would then unhook the chain, ....train moves forward....process repeated. Some dumps were also designed with a sloped track cross section at the dump...the brow log side was lower...this helped with the unloading process. Browlogs also often had a ledge or rail section on the inside edge, that would support the bunks or the flat car side sills, so they would not tip or slide out/derail, while unloading.

...how Jaqc achieved this...well thats for his article. ;)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

yes. I am waiting with the final water application untill the rest is to my satisfaction. I am experimenting with Humbrol acrylic gloss ( no 35) ,
   Gunze no 30 and artist gloss medium like Rembrand and other better brands. I am trying to establish which one is no turning yellow and can withstand cleaning without striping.
   I have tried boat varnish, but I am not satisfied as it is more suited to enhance wood effect than to provide just gloss and in some cases not compatible with acrylics.

This will include the slipway, logcar, dump inside the mill etc. everything that is affected by water.
   part of this activity will be a dustcover when the layout is not in use.

A new more robust servo has been installed for the logdump chain, together with a on/off contact for the track as some operators forget to return the chain and try to move the train.

The color of the "burned grass" out of the box is being changed to a more correct color of burned grass. I have experimented with different sizes tuft, static applied grass and mats from several sources. My preference goes to Fredericus Rex material. Tufts are applied in such a way that permanent parches, loose groups and individual tufts are created. All grass is treated afterwards with an old toothbrush and extra applications of earth. ( photo's will follow)

Ray, nice challenge to figure out how the logdump with the chain works  ;D ;D ;D ( tip it works like the real one)

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Considering the starting point, any enhancements to the diorama should be very impressive. -- Russ

LeOn3

Quote from: jacq01 on July 05, 2011, 02:09:58 PM

Ray, nice challenge to figure out how the logdump with the chain works  ;D ;D ;D ( tip it works like the real one)

Jacq

Ooh, ooh,I know, I know. ;)
Don't wory Jacq, won't tell your secret. You safe that for your article.It was a pleasure operating it in Utrecht.

Leon

jacq01

Finally into modeling again.
   The renovation of the house is going far better without me so I was send of to have a nice time travelling through Finland, Sweden and Norway.  ;D ;D
   By train and local busses, Alan Rees and I have been in places not often visited by tourists. Helsinki, Kemi, Haparanda, Pajala, Kiruna, Poulsa, etc.
   The situation on the physical side is also improving after a very long time of uncertainties. A final MRI scan coming Friday of my skull and cranium and Tuesday the results.
   Life is looking a lot brighter now......and hope and humour are very effective medicines.

With the pleasure in modeling returning, I spend a couple of nights in my hobby room, after a very long time not even opening the door. I worked on several items, but most energy went into the annexe of the workshop. I installed the boiler and steam engine for the workshop's belt drives and added the vislble blacksmith's part.

Still a lot to be added, like boiler piping, blacksmith's shop clutter, sliding door etc, etc.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Good to see you back at the bench.  And glad to hear your feeling better.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Design-HSB

Hi Jacq,

I can understand you only too well that health is the most important thing we need to build models.
You build very beautiful models and I wish you all the best, so you can still build a lot of beautiful models.
There's also a good model, also good therapy for the soul.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

A very good addition. And I am very relieved to hear you are improving. Please continue recovering and modeling. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

In your travels through Finland, did you pass through Oulu? I have a friend who lives there.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Beautiful work!  Glad you're feeling better and inspired to do some modeling.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

jacq01

Ray,

yes we passed through Oulu.  As the mainline is single track, we had to wait 25 minutes before we continued to Kemi.
   A nice railwaystation, but a strange place to have a tattoo shop  ???.

Jacq
I am what I remember.