• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

10 ton Shay article

Started by jacq01, April 06, 2012, 01:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

In the Logging, Mining and Industrial 2009 there is an article about a 10 ton shay.
  A good friend of mine, who recently joined the forum, likes to built this loco in 1:35 for a small project under construction.

Can anyone help him with this info ? 

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

May be in about 6 hours when ssuR wakes up he can be of assistance....
-Marty

finescalerr

I'm sorry, Marty, did you write something? I just woke up.

Jacq, I will send a PDF of the article to your personal e-mail address.

Russ

John Lostcreek

Hi All,

My name is John and I'm new on the forum. Jacq is a good friend and I was several times with Leon crew of his layout.
I build O scale (on30) and was on many shows with my Coldcreek layout.
But now I search again for a new challenge

Jacq ask for me the copy of the 10 ton Shay article and send it to me.
Thanks Jacq en also Russ for make a copy.

I want to build a small shay in 1:35 scale or my new 1:35n2  layout from a Bachmann On30 shay, I put the wheels of the bachmann shay to 19mm. First the loc have to drive 100% before I can advance.
Because there are so many gears in the gearbox  When the loc go downhill he is choppy
I  build in  a Precisionscale drive of the back truck. But then I see, three of the gears on the drive axel where broken so I order new gears from NWSL.
Now I replace the gears and can I continue with the construction.
I hope to show you some (better)  pictures later.

Regards John

Ray Dunakin

Welcome aboard, John! Sounds like a very interesting project.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

narrowgauger

Jacq

may I suggest that you forward to your friend the details of my Shay drive / gearing mechanism.

have misfiled my orginal text on the subject, thus cannot send it direct.

the process outlined in my format will save him a lot of time & frustration as well as achieving a super slow speed operating model.  I have done a couple of Bachmann Shays using this method and confirm that it will all fit.

have fun
Bernard