• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

THE LOG WAGON

Started by NORCALLOGGER, April 14, 2012, 07:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
We spent a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon up at the mill today and decided to finally uncover the old log wagon and get some pictures of it.  I/we have taken lots of pictures of it over the last few years but have never bothered to remove all the old metal roofing sheets to really get some clear views of it.

Well to day we did it and it was well worth the effort.
The 6X6 timbers are on the log bunks to support the roofing that helps to protect it from the weather.  The Cat (kitty type) comes with the territory.

A view from the back of the wagon.  This log wagon was built by the mill owners in 1913-14 to be used behind their new logging motive power, the 1906 Best Traction engine.  This engine was purchased used in 1913 and brought to the mill site.  This trailer rolled in it's last load of logs in 1947 and was parked where you see it sitting today. 

A closeup of one of the wheels.  These wheels were made from Sugar Pine rounds 42 inches in diameter, 15 inches thick at the hub and 10 inches thick at the rim.  The steel tires were fabricated from material at hand and heat shrunk to the wooden wheels.  If you look closely you can see where Fir pegs were driven into the Pine through the years to keep the wheels tightly fitted to the tires.

The following are a few detail shots of the wagon.

If you look at the metal "shoes" on the bottom of the log bunks you will notice that they are turned down and stick out.  This is where the planks were inserted against the trailer for par-buckling the logs onto the bunks.  The rings you see were used for the chain "gut wrappers" that secured the logs to the bunks.

Thanks for taking a look
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Great pics, thanks for posting them!

Looks like that left front wheel has just about turned to mush.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks Rick! Interesting relic.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Wesleybeks

Great ref pics Rick. Thanks.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

NORCALLOGGER

Not a very good picture but here is the log wagon (the one in front) in use in the 1920's.
The 1906 Best Traction engine is still on the property and in running condition.  In fact I got to ride/drive it at the family reunion last May.

Thanks for taking a look
Rick

Malachi Constant

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on April 16, 2012, 05:12:37 PM
The 1906 Best Traction engine is still on the property and in running condition.  In fact I got to ride/drive it at the family reunion last May.

Wow!  Beautiful equipment ... great history & photos ... thanks for sharing all of this.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com