• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Corrugated

Started by Younger, April 17, 2012, 07:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Younger

Does anyone have a source for 1/32 or 1/35 corrugated roofing material in either paper or (preferably) aluminum or other metal?
-Younger
-Younger

lab-dad

Why not use the Builder's in Scale 1:48?
I find the scale advertised is (usually) to large. i.e. I use S or HO on my 1:48 stuff.....
-Marty

Chuck Doan

I used BIS 1/48th corr on my 1/2" garage and it looked OK to me. I just gently pulled the sections out a bit to increase the spacing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Stop being lazy!
in 1/32 you have got to build it yourself! It's as easy as a can of corn!
No really, peal the label from a can of corn, and you'll see that it's corrugated! Cut the can screw the non-corrugated parts to a piece of wood and you now have a form to emboss to! easy-Peasey, can of corn!
Mr potato Head
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

Well then why not just use a cardboard box and paint it silver? :D
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

Elsewhere on this forum I posted a link to a PDF explaining how to make a press to create corrugated metal. If you want the PDF, send me a note and I'll e-mail it to you. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Yeah, creamed corn and home-made metal presses not withstanding ... um ... what Marty and Chuck said ... the "off the shelf" 1:48 stuff will actually be sized right for you and make it quick and easy.  You can torture yourself on other elements of the project!  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

The BIS O scale material is approx. .06 spacing (if I remember correctly). That would be pert near perfect for 2" corrugated in 1/35th. The only thing would be the lengths that you might have to cut if you think someone might measure your model for correctness.

Mr Potato Head

make fun all you want! but it works and its a meal!
Scratch building and food go together!
Man that corrugated roof is yummy!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Barney

Don't get complicated - use 1/48 stuff - it looks fine for 1/35th and 1/32
Barney

Mr Potato Head

Your all a bunch of non- purists!
1/32 is bigger than 1/35, don't go all moderate on me now, you 1/35 purists! C'mon Younger work it out, you've got the skills and the time!
MPH
100% pure Bullshit!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Can I use the corrugated box that the corn cans came packaged in?;D

Corrugated came in various sizes and even some variation in shape.....the choices get even bigger if you're scene is non US based, where they had their own profiles/sizes.

Like the others said....use the BIS. I believe they make 2" and 3" wide sheets (8 and 12 scale feet at 1/48)...those should be sufficient for 1/32.....otherwise, with your jig making skills  you could easily make a press, then use the cookie sheet material. There have been several threads here re this. I know I did one, and I think Gordon did as well.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

I know you and others have done threads on this and they have come out great! I was just making fun with my can of corn, but I did make a corrugated tank using a can of green diced chilies to form the aluminum
(Hey I am Mexican)
I think that if Younger takes his current stash of corrugated and pulls on it width wise it would become 1/32-1/35 and he can cut his to 2 ΒΌ max so that's 6 feet long
MPH
100% Mexican
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Younger

All good ideas (except for Gil, the Potatohead!). I've ordered some 1:48 corrugated from BIS, and contacted James Coldicott, who makes kits in 1:32, and he indicated he possibly could send me some. I'll post some more info when I receive the material. Thanks all.
-Younger
-Younger

chester

Doesn't potato have an 'e' on the end?   ;)

Evergreen also has a styrene sheet of corrugated that they call 1/100 but the corrugations scale out to be more than twice as wide. I bought some thinking I would try Marc's method of using paper wet with glue/water to make some.