• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Corrugated

Started by Younger, April 17, 2012, 07:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Chester, you coulda' been VP.  ;D

One of Evergreen's corrugated measures .040 spacing which is pretty close to 2" in 1:48,
but they also offer .030, .060, .080, .100 and .125 spacing.

8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mr Potato Head

You Say Tomatoes and You say potatoes, but I say Potato Head!
One "L" in Gil and no "E" in potato please
Thanks
MPH
for short
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

Another source of corrugated material from Idaho ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

NE Brownstone

Hmmm, those kind of look like some of the corrugated metal panels I saw after Katrina. 

The coloring is off, however.
Russ
The other, other Russ

Mr Potato Head

Hey Dallas!
That's the state seal in Idaho! Don't forget to visit the Potato Museum when you visit! We got the world's largest potato chip, a Potato chip with the Virgin Mary, and the head of Christ, oh so much to see.........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Potato_Museum
http://www.potatoexpo.com/
MPH
I like Jalapeno chips
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

These ain't corrugated, but they are damn tasty ... my personal favorite ... Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators from New Orleans.  (Yeah, they spell "tators" funny ... and they pronounce everything even funnier ... but the chips are dang good.) -- Dallas

Mr Potato Head

Last time I was in the gulf, I had me some "fried Gator" boy it was good, hey these chips have my name written all over it, I wonder how I could get some this far north?
MPH
At the 43 parallel
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

Oddly enough, they showed up at a grocery in Boulder, Colorado when I lived there ... but, I've generally relied on the occasional "care package" from family in New Orleans.

Erstwhile:
http://www.zapps.com/

and they're on amazon.com, etc.

The Crawtators aren't super spicy, but they got a real nice taste and the spice builds up nicely as you go ...

Hmm ... haven't had any potato chips in ages ... but I'll bet some will fall into my shopping cart fairly soon.  ;D

(I'm assuming we've more-or-less settled the original question in this thread and it's safe to wonder way off at this point.)

Cheers,
Dallas

NE Brownstone

Tangent time.  :)

Speaking of the Big Easy, leaving to go there tomorrow.  Jazzfest!  Yee Haw!  Well, that and try to visit friends and family all over the rest of Coonass land.  Yeah, Zapps makes some tasty Crawtator chips, but I'm hankering for a pile of the real bugs.  I found some at a Chinese buffet the other day, but they must have been from China.  Plus, they don't know how to put the spice to them and they definitely didn't use any Zatarains.
Russ
The other, other Russ

Younger

Got my BIS O scale corrugated today. It measures about 2.4 scale inches from corrugation to corrugation in 1:32 , just about perfect.

About 3.6 scale inches for 1:48 which seems a little too large. I think Marty got it right, drop down a scale or two, to get a more realistic appearance.
-Younger
-Younger

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Younger on April 23, 2012, 06:11:31 PM
Got my BIS O scale corrugated today.

Hey, I got mine today too! Figured I'd try it out for some extra-small corrugations in 1/24th.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Quote from: NE Brownstone on April 19, 2012, 05:37:16 PM
Tangent time.  :)

Speaking of the Big Easy, leaving to go there tomorrow.  Jazzfest!  Yee Haw! 

Well, Jerry got his 1:48 corrugated and it's gonna work, so we can skate off on the tangents again!  ;D

Other, other Russ -- Have a great time and enjoy dem crawfish!  BTW, my uncle's band Zebra is playing at Jazzfest Friday night ... but it's a rock band ... started out as sort of a Zeppelin-style hard rock, but they've been heading more toward a mellower Beatles influence as they (we) all get older.   8)

Cheers,
Dallas

compressor man

This is exciting news knowing that the BIS 1/48 corrugated is suitable for 1/35-1/32. Does anyone know if the Rusty Stumps 1/48 is this same size or is it different?

Chris

eTraxx

Just a note .. from Wikipedia

Corrugated galvanized iron ((the wikipedia link spells it galvanised. Go figure)

QuoteThe corrugations are described in terms of pitch (the distance between two crests) and depth (the height from the top of a crest to the bottom of a trough). It is important for the pitch and depth to be quite uniform, in order for the sheets to be easily stackable for transport, and to overlap neatly when making a join. Pitches have ranged from 25 mm (1 inch) to 125 mm (5 inches). It was once common for CGI used for vertical walls to have a shorter pitch and depth than roofing CGI. This shorter pitched material was sometimes called "rippled" instead of "corrugated". However nowadays, nearly all CGI produced has the same pitch of 3 inches (76 mm).

Just seems to me that with phrases like "have ranged" and "once common" along with that pitch having ranged from 1 inch to 5 inches .. you should have a pretty wide field as long as the corrugated metal sheet is from 'back when' and not a recent building.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Rusty Stumps 1:48 corrugated:  Appears to be .060" peak-to-peak ... which would be close to 2" spacing in either scale.  (1.92" in 1:32 .... or 2.1" in 1:35)  I don't have the Builders-in-Scale material for direct comparison.  The stuff I got from Rusty Stumps has a slightly triangular look to the corrugations ... not a smooth wave-shape.

Rusty Stumps 1:35 brick sheets:  I had Walt Gillespie at Rusty Stumps custom-cut some of these for me recently, and now they're on the web site:

http://www.rustystumps.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L1701  (basic brick)
http://www.rustystumps.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L1702  (aged brick)

The face of each brick measures approx. 3x8" on a 1:35 scale rule.  He also has various fancy brick patterns in smaller scales, and may be willing to custom-size those.  BUT ... interesting note ... on the "instructions" for the brick sheet, he notes that you should NOT flex the sheet too much, as individual bricks might pop loose.  Which, of course, immediately made me think:  "Ooh, if I need individual bricks, I can cut off a piece of brick sheet and flex the crap out of it!"  ;D

Rusty Stumps 1:35 stair stringers:  These are NOT on the site right now, but I asked Walt to "up-size" some of his 1:48 stringers for me.  NOTE that these have "ye olde" 1:1 rise/run, which is not suitable for all prototype applications ... but is found on some of the small real-world buildings around town here.  

With a 1:35 scale rule, it's 8" rise over 8" run ... the stringers are long enough to do a 1:35 staircase that's around 23-24' scale height.  (I'd have to punch out the laser-cut stringer and measure at the proper angle against a square to check that ... and I haven't ... so it's somewhere around there!  Anyway, it's the max. length that fits on the standard RC board sheets that he uses.)  (I could also measure the hypotenuse and figure it out from there, but I don't feel like it.)  ;)

The stringers are NOT on the site, but you can email Walt thru the site ... if you want 1:35 stair stringers, you can tell him you want some like Dallas got, and he'll already have a file set up ... if you want some in 1:32 with the same rise/run, he can customize that easily ...

Real-life demands are insane at the moment, so I don't have snapshots of any of this stuff ... it's all stashed with hopes of making more progress on my 1:35 cafe dio at some point!  ;D

Now, back to off-topic bs:  I had some lovely jambalaya last night.  8)

Cheers,
Dallas