• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Heywood Brake Van Update...

Started by W.P. Rayner, April 21, 2012, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Recently took a little time off the Sonoma Pilot Project (currently at the printer, hopefully have update middle of next week) to return to the Heywood Brake Van project and continued work on the metal undercarriage components, handrails and so on. Attached rendering is a skeleton view of the Van frame with the metal components in place. Next step is to draw the brake linkage components. Drawings were done in Autodesk Inventor Pro 2012, rendering completed in Keyshot 3 Pro.

Paul

artizen

Beautiful. Will this be released as a kit?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Ian. At this point I have no plans to release this as a kit but I won't definitively rule that out as a future challenge. I'll be lucky if I have the time to build the one for myself that started this whole project...  ;D

Paul

EZnKY

Really nice Paul.
The lighting you're using is much nicer, and softer, than the lighting we work with using Revit for buildings.
It makes a big difference in the visual interest in the images.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Ed. I did some more work on the van yesterday adding some of the hand-operated brake mechanism. Also ran a new rendering which I'm much happier with. Colours, textures and overall lighting are much more convincing. I spend a lot of time working on the lighting. It's a crucial element to the overall quality of the rendering. Fortunately in the latest version of Keyshot the developers have added much better lighting controls which is a real benefit.

Paul

Gordon Ferguson

Paul,

your skill at producing these renderings is breathtaking, I reckon there a very few people out there in the world who would believe that is not either an extremely fine model or the real thing.

I hope you contact the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review with the idea of getting both the renderings and your model published
Gordon

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

I agree with Gordon, that is beautiful work.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Gordon, I used to write for the Review when Mike Brown was Editor, but after he retired, the Review was no longer interested in any of my work, so it's highly unlikely (meaning not going to happen) that I will approach them again. For now, I'm running updates on my web site of progress on the project and will continue to do so. When I do actually get around to building the van, then the only other venue I would consider would be one of Russ' books if he was interested. I'm hoping to actually start cutting the wood stock for it this summer. I've had the pear wood curing for over a year now, so it's ready to cut. With the increasing work load in the studio and some health issues that my wife is going through, it's very difficult to make any time in the workshop and I'm really starting to miss that. However, for now we just have to wait and see what we have to deal with over the next couple of months.

Paul

Hauk

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on April 24, 2012, 09:13:31 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Gordon, I used to write for the Review when Mike Brown was Editor, but after he retired, the Review was no longer interested in any of my work, so it's highly unlikely (meaning not going to happen) that I will approach them again.

Maybe you should give them another chance. Bob Barlow has taken over as editor (the current issue is his second as editor), and my impression is that he is very open to all kinds of modelling. He is very interested in doing a story on my engine, and he is also going to publish some very fine swedish models.

Your work is so suited for publishing in the Review that I am a 100% sure Bob would be thrilled to publish it.

Regards,
Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

"...The only other venue I would consider would be one of Russ' books if he was interested."

Your wish is granted.

I was going to suggest you consider working up an article until Gordon encouraged you to contact that other place. Then I backed off because I don't want to seem pushy. But since you hinted you might be interested ....

Russ

Chuck Doan

At least an article on the current state of the art of designing models. This isn't pencils and rulers on the kitchen table anymore! (Nor is this elementary computer aided work either).
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys...

Thanks for the update on the Review Hauk. I wasn't aware that Bob Barlow had taken over as editor. I'm going to have to check it out again. As odd as it may seem though, there doesn't appear to be much interest in my Heywood projects in the old country, apart from a very small group of individuals (who have been quite helpful with research resources and so on) who are heavily involved with the preservation and restoration of the remaining Heywood stock. One of the forum sites I frequent and contribute to specializes in 15" minimum gauge prototypes and models and attracts a large number of Heywood enthusiasts. Curiously my Heywood projects attract virtually no attention on that site, but then the bulk of the modelwork there has more to do with kitbashing than anything else, so perhaps therein lies the problem. Doesn't stop me from posting though...  ;)

I am interested Russ and not just because of the high-caliber of your publications or that you're pushy... ;). I would much rather the material appeared in a publication devoted to contemporary trends and processes in fine model-making regardless of the subject, rather than a publication that specializes in one narrow field of interest even though the subject matter may seem an ideal fit for such a publication. This work is as much about the process as it is about the subject matter. Besides there are all those thong-clad cuties hanging about your editorial office...  ;D

Paul

marc_reusser

Lovely.  But then one expects no less from you.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

michael mott

Paul your work with pushing the envelope regarding the development of the models using the drawing and rendering Technology is a joy to watch. Your comment about the site where the focus is more along the kit bashing lines is one that I think speaks more to the time and energy that many have. Your work is at the leading edge, and represents a considerable investment in time and money. I am sure that you are quietly inspiring some of the younger generation of model builders though, those who are more familiar with the newer technologies.

Michael