• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'.....(1/35 Road Rollers)

Started by marc_reusser, May 06, 2012, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Needed a mental break for the weekend after a long work wek, and getting the S.oT. build painted and written up,....so I took out a build I have really been itching to get on, and started some prep work....and while waiting for the putty to dry on one...I decided to start throwing together another.

The one on the right is the one I have been dying to get on (and am doing paint prep on)...some of you may remember this, it a beautiful abandoned roller, scratch-built built by Gordon Ferguson...which I now have the honor to have it on my work/paint bench.

The one on the left is the start-up/time filler. I am using a mediocre 1/48 scale resin kit as a base to build on. As shown it is stripped, cut, and putty started...and a few details begun,....toward it's new design.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Nice start Marc.

What resin kit are you using for the second kit?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

Wesley,

It was this one made by a company called "Batallion Bits"

Found this link on-line at 'Track-48'   http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1314&cat=28&page=1

...but believe me, I did not pay anywhere near THAT price for it...IIRC, found it in the clearance/sale bin at one of the LHS's.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Well I might keep the occasional eye on this thread  ;D ;D

You kept a bit quiet on the the second roller , be interested to see that one develop, oh and I promise that should I ever send another model to you it will be in plain white plastic with none of my primer already applied  ;)

Keep filling & sanding 
Gordon

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on May 06, 2012, 11:52:39 PM

You kept a bit quiet on the the second roller ...

That's 'cause it's just a by-product of working on your build...and not the focus of the thread. ;D....plus I only just started on it last night. I actually forgot I had the kit, but had to dig through my drawers last week, and ran across it.  ::)

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

That part about digging through your drawers disturbs me. -- ssuR

TRAINS1941

Well leave it up to Unc!!!!

Nice start Marc.  You sure do have a flame under your ass to move along at such a quick pace.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Malachi Constant

"Smashing" good start!  Looking forward to more road rollers (and a few little bits of nonsense).  ;)   -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Had a quick break from life, and really needed some bench time. Finished exterior body detailing, and new front roller frame. Still have to detail the roller frame, and cab interior.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Nice fine detail you have added there Marc. The extra detail you have added to the rear rollers makes a vast improvement on the origonal ..... especially the hubs

Might? be worth considering just radiusing , very slightly the corners of the front roller frame and using a needle file to radius the inside of the frame ....... just a thought   
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Thanks...just some willy-nilly "hope it's plausible" stuff from various reference photos.

Seems we think alike ;D.....already have two corners radiused since last post. Will be filling inside corners with Milliput, or do a radiused reinforcing plate, and fill the little gap at top and bottom with putty.

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Marc

A long time between breaks I'd say.  It's coming along nicely.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Thanks Jerry.

Not really exciting, but front roller frame is pretty much done. I schould have scratched the arch piece, as the kit piece was a bit out of whack, but, oh well. The brass rod hinge rod is just temporary so scrapers can be removed for painti...ng. Tension bars and turnbuckle between scraper blades will be added after paint.

Exterior frame corners and edges were radiused, and interior cornes were filled with Milliput and radiused correspondingly. Nuts, bolts, rivets and detail parts are a mix of items from VectorCut, Grandt-Line, Foothill Model Works, punched styrene disks, and scrap PE sheet.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Lovely !

The scraper bars are something I should have added to mine, so another thing to add to your list ;)

Like the angled shield over the front axle, not seen/ noticed that before ....... Think you will enjoy painting this
Gordon