• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Storing tiny drill bits

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 13, 2012, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

What's a good way to store tiny drill bits? Originally I just kept them inside the handle of my pin vise, but now I have too many for that, and a lot of them are extremely small.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hi Ray,

I use for very small drill these magazines.

For the larger a Drill-Boy
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

granitechops

One good way that I have seen is a block of fine foam in a crystal case, the foam being half the size of the case, the drills being inserted into the foam, probably greater care needed for sizes less than .5mm

Another good way is a long flat sliding dispenser, with a slot/pocket for each drill size, which will only open to one slot at a time, Edit which is similar to Helmuts magazine above
Don in sunny Devon, England

Bexley

I use small lab sample tubes like these. I got them super cheap at a surplus store in my area. I usually buy the tiny bits from machinist suppliers, and they only sell the smallest ones in packs of 6 or more, so I needed a way to keep them sorted. I keep my pin vises and all the bits together in a Plano box, along with different sizes of wire.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

james_coldicott

I use one of these boxes available very cheaply here in the UK. I have one for metric drills and another that I've marked up for number drills. Not sure if they are available in Europe or the USA but really good value for anyone in the UK.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-150-piece-micro-drill-bit-set-prod783229/

James

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks James, never spotted those on the Axminster site before ..... as you say that's good value ................ off to spend some money
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Well James my drills appeared today ........ no idea why but was expecting a neat little box say 6" by 3" so you understand my surprise when the post man delivered this large cardboard box, opening it I discovered the drills were in a case measuring 13" x 6".

Anyway the drills are great, really good value with 150 drills in sizes ranging from 0.4mm to 3.2mm

Thanks

Gordon

chester

Since I like to keep my drill bits close and handy and working in 1/87 requires REALLY tiny bits, I use of all things, a refrigerator magnet that is attached to a metal cabinet next to my bench.

Barney

Uncomplicated small drill storage - Plastic boxes fixed in place with double sided tape - easy to see and get at.
Barney

marc_reusser

Hmmm. I simply toss them all willy-nilly into a small drawer. Then when I need them, I just dig around till I fin one that looks like it might be right, and check size with my calipers . If it's not the right one, simply repeat till I do find what I'm looking for. Very relaxing and cathartic.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 23, 2012, 07:53:59 PM
Hmmm. I simply toss them all willy-nilly into a small drawer. Then when I need them, I just dig around till I fin one that looks like it might be right, and check size with my calipers . If itms not the right one, ssimply repet till I do find what I'm looking for. Very relaxing and cathartic.

And the drill bit you actually want is the last one in the drawer , and then you knock the pile of bits onto the floor and have to spend ages picking them up again .

That probably explains why it  takes you so long finishing a project .

finescalerr

I start with a pretty big bit and file it down until it's the right size. After all, why not? -- ssuR

Frederic Testard

At least, it's easier than if you started from a pretty thin one...
cirederF
Frederic Testard

Steve Akers

If you use them a lot, and want them at hand...I found a roll of magnetic
strip at Hobby Lobby for $4- It has sticky on one side.  As soon as I do mine I"ll
make my 1st photo post. You can line them all up on the magnetic strip over
your bench.  I saw this somewhere else, not my idea.Steve

Mobilgas

Craig