• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Donkey ............................. Nodding

Started by Gordon Ferguson, May 14, 2012, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

I have a number of projects on the go, most of which have stalled for some reason or other , as somebody I know might say "too complicated all those curves and bendy bits"
So to give the brain a break had a rummage thro' the projects -  one day file and came up with this "A Nodding Donkey" oil field pump ........... I should add that by nefarious means and down-right theft I managed to lay my hands on the workshop tools produced by Barney   http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1465.msg26315#msg26315

As a number of these are not painted it gave me the opportunity to study how they had been put together ............ a very useful exercise before starting on this.

So here is the result, hopefully the photos will show the build process, starting of with a pile of bits

At the moment most things are just placed in position which is why all the pivot/hinge rods do not have finished ends( and I notice the electric motor has moved) .... and I am still looking for some suitable pulleys for the drive chain.

Marc, if you are reading this no "Green stuff" used and Mr Surfacer  primer is in stock  ;)

Next stage will be make a concrete base for it and ultimately hope that the  unfinished Dodge will finished and then be abandoned beside the pump.
Gordon

Chuck Doan

That looks great Gordon. I still see a lot of those around So Cal.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

billmart

We have lots of them here in Oklahoma.  Yours looks absolutely great.

Bill Martinsen

Scratchman

Nice job Gordon. Looking forward to the finished models.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

She's a thing of beauty. Lovely scratch work.

Not to rain on your parade,....but, out of curiosity, a technical question: Is there enough room/clearance above grade, for the weighted pivot arms, to rotate through a whole 360-degree circle? Maybe it's just the photo...but looks a bit short/tight.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 14, 2012, 09:31:38 PM

a technical question: Is there enough room/clearance above grade, for the weighted pivot arms, to rotate through a whole 360-degree circle?

Bloody architects, asking technical questions ........... We , the engineers do Technical ............ just go back to your doodles

OK, I will admit to it being a bit tight  ::), in fact its the slots in the base frame that allow it to happen ........ may have to make a slight tweak  ;)

Anyway, cut out the pictures, stack them together and flick ......... who needs that galloping horse when you have a nodding donkey

Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on May 14, 2012, 11:09:23 PM
Quote from: marc_reusser on May 14, 2012, 09:31:38 PM

a technical question: Is there enough room/clearance above grade, for the weighted pivot arms, to rotate through a whole 360-degree circle?

Bloody architects, asking technical questions ........... We , the engineers do Technical ............ just go back to your doodles

Well said , That Man . Bloody architects . The bane of us builders lives . With their fancy squiggles that can't be interpreted or made to work ! Ha , ha .

Another splendid piece of work from The Frozen North . I look forward to seeing it in the flesh when we make our expedition to your backwater on the 2nd . Barney is preparing his emergency stock of cheese rolls as we speak .

Nick

Barney

A lovely bit of workmanship from the Man in the North - never mind the architects its the builders who get up my nose !! always going on about bricks and corners - uppers and downers  - but they do make lovely islands in the sky - keep feeding us the stuff Gordon - and remember the cheese and onion cobs for the 2nd.
Barney

Malachi Constant

Nice series of pix!  Now, how about putting a little figure in front of the thing and see if that hammer head can't just drive him right into the ground.  You can call him an architect if it makes you feel better.  ;D 

Bloody good show building that thing to go thru the full motion.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

EZnKY

Such hostility towards architects!
You should all be ashamed.
Ashamed I said!
:)
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

shropshire lad

Quote from: EZnKY on May 15, 2012, 05:32:29 PM
Such hostility towards architects!
You should all be ashamed.
Ashamed I said!
:)

You're right , we should be ashamed . But guess what , we're not .      Ha , ha , only joking .

We all know architects are lovely people , just misunderstood .   

finescalerr

Nick, and all architects, go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on May 16, 2012, 01:30:33 AM
Nick, and all architects, go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

So you want me , a lowly builder , to go and stand in the corner with all those high-falutin' architects ? Are you sure , because it might get messy and you know what you're like when you see blood . 

jacq01

Russ, never underestimate the stupidity of idiots.

Gordon, very wel done.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.