• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Metamorphosis -- styrene into wood

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 27, 2012, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Here's a project I've been working on lately as an experiment to see how far I can push the envelope, using styrene to represent weathered wood. I built up one wall, board by board, trying to get it as close as possible to the prototype. This will be in the article I'm writing for the "Modeler's Annual".

First, here's a photos of the prototype, part of a dilapidated old house in Tonopah, NV:

And here are some shots of the 1/24th scale model wall:

The nails are tiny pieces of .020" brass rod, inserted into drilled holes. I wanted to use .015" rod, but didn't have any available locally and didn't want to wait to have some shipped.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll build the entire structure, or just complete this section of it and attach it to different building.

Enjoy!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Ray

Now that is some beautiful looking wood, I mean styrene!!!!  Hell I think you should do the whole building in styrene.
The nails are great but how did you do the knots??????

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

In general I frown upon people who try and make styrene look like wood because in the overwhelming majority of cases they fail miserably , but I have to say that you have made an excellent case for the argument that it can be done . Congratulations , your wall looks like wood .

Though I don't think I'll try and copy you ,

Nick

Geoff Ringle

That is mighty fine work Ray.  I don't think real wood could look closer to prototype example.

darrylhuffman

Ray,

Your work on making styrene look like real wood has always inspired me to try to do the same.

I recently got a good supply of black styrene sheet to work with.

Doing the colors are one thing but to get the black cracks and grain is something else so I thought I would try some black styrene instead of white.

When I get some actual weathering of the plastic done, I'll post my results.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

danpickard

Wow Ray,
Excellent result.  Very nice tonal changes in the aging wood.  Its a pretty faithful reproduction of the original wall.  Would be keen to hear more on the process when time permits.

Cheers,
Dan

Gordon Ferguson

That is certainly impressive, both the grain an knot detail but it is the colouring you have achieved that is what makes it really exceptional.

Whilst I cannot think of too many prototypes for this amount of sun weathered wood over here would really like to know some more details of the paint processes you used

Thanks
Gordon

lab-dad

Very nice. Great for your outdoor layout.
I've done it. It is a PITA.
I think the black styrene is a good start.
I look forward to more pics.
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Thanks. I think I need to work on the photography a bit... the color is a little "off". The close ups look pretty good but the overall shots seem to have a slight greenish or bluish cast.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

k27rgs

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on May 27, 2012, 03:42:53 PM
That is certainly impressive, both the grain an knot detail but it is the colouring you have achieved that is what makes it really exceptional.

Holy Crap!  And "ditto" what Gordon and the others have said ... will definitely look forward to that Annual for more info.  The knots look great ... the grain follows the knots correctly ... the coloring is amazing.  Al Armitage would be very, very proud of you!  WOW   :o  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Wow!...well, am floored! That looks just beautiful, and as gordon said, the coloring is exceptional. Heck, I wish I could get real wood to look thiss good. I look forward to the article, and learning how to do this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. Most satisfactory, indeed! -- Russ

Barney

FANTASTIC - INCREDIBLE - this is surely the way to go - I agree with Nick I have seen attempts of wood from plastic and it never looks the part - but this is something different keep it coming it inspires !!
Barney

Mobilgas

All i can say is WOW......look's like ill be buying the next Modeler's Annual ;D  can't wait to see the article. 
Craig