• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the roots !

Started by Bill76, June 20, 2012, 11:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill76

You're right Marty and only oil paint can create a capillary effect.

Last step for the trailer. I just ad wood extensions on each side with limewood. Several coats of thinned Charadon Granite (Citadel) are applied to weather them.

The chain conveyor is assembled and the cover as well. The transmission shaft takes its place on a "parking position".

Next stage, the diorama. Georges

lab-dad

The tyres look much better! ;D
The overall condition looks spot on for a newer but well used piece.

That chain; I wonder how long it would stay blue though?

On the diorama are you going to model the manure?
-Marty

Bill76

Tyres are drybrushed with several acrylic colors but even if the rubber is quite nice, I will paint it them black/dark grey next time. It should have a better look.

billmart

Beautiful work during construction, painting, and weathering.  My hat is off to you, Bill.

Bill Martinsen

Bill76

The chain has to be wear with some Gunmetal and dark grey. The scene will take place near a workshop before working. The spreader has spent some rest in the barn during winter and spring, it needs some attention that's why it's gonna be rather clean.

Manure and soil is a challenge that I should have try but I change my mind !! Maybe for a next project ... with a loader fitted on another tractor.

The process will follow.

Bill76

All the accessories take their palce as the electric wire for the rear lights, the direction lights, and the triangle signs.

Bill76

The shield has been interesting to paint by mixing acrylics and oils as for the rusty drips.

Bill76

The rear sidde is of course the main used part of the spreader. The sticker gives some contrast on the face panel of the cover. It was very common in the 70' and the 80' to put advertising on farm machines.

Bill76

A shot to view the inside.

Georges.

Bill76

And the last one.

mabloodhound

Excellent job Georges!!!
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Wesleybeks

Stunning stuff. Now lets see it with the tractor.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Bill76

Thank you guys for your comments.

A picture of tractor and the trailer to satisfy your impatience ...

Bill76

The workshop will look like my grand-father's one. He made it in the 50' with oak planks and corrugated iron. There was a workbaench where I started modeling with wood and got a real small farm with seeding and harvesting operations. Crazy stuff for a kid to get a farm at the same scale ! Each time I saw a tractor and an implement working in the area, I came back with a lot of ideas for modeling. No way for my grand dad to keep nails in the box ... Always empty ! And many machines on my farm.

I use limewood for its hardness rather than balsa wood that it is too soft and not easy to paint.

The scene has a diagonal axle to give a dynamical effect though the size is quite small (21 x 29 centimeters). The planks need some scrapes to look older and wear by the typical wet conditions so the lower ends are really damaged and need more weathering effets as moss. The main structure is made with 5 x 5 mm section beams and glue with wood glue. No difficulties for that.

Bill76

Charadon Granite (Citadel)) is applied in several layers and different dark colors for the splits (acrylic paints).