• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the roots !

Started by Bill76, June 20, 2012, 11:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Excellent work. Bill fits right in here .. :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating! I'm learning about farm equipment as well as modeling! 

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill76

Thanks guys. Glad to know that you learn some farm subject.

The box is put on the V frame. The frame is not parallel to the flat box because the hitch of the tractor is rather low while the bed of the trailer has to be parallel to the ground. The front side of the spreader needs some attention and strength. A special casing is square bended between the main frame and the bed. A central ball bearing is tighten with four bolts and its end is splined and will received the sliding transmisstion shaft.

This part is made with metal and the bearing is made with Evergreen. Bolts are building thanks to Punch and Die Hexagonal.
The main driveline shaft is fitted on the gearcase on the left side of the corner. A middle bearing is needed to avoid any bending action when turning. Usually, this bearing was made in wood as oak because it was maintenanceless. In fact, the bearing was in two shells and no grease was needed.
Two flat rails will guide the chain conveyor when spreading. The other use is to carry the heavy weight of the conveyor as well. The two chains are about 7 meters longs and the links have one centimeter section.

The gear case is bolted on the left side and will lead the conveyor wheel flow, the main beater and the lower beater. A rugged chain (pintle chain ? if someone can translate it ! ) assures the powerful drive even when spreading bulks of packed manure. The chain tensionner was made with wood and can be ajusted by a simple bolt.

The conveyor works by jerky movement through an excentric wheel and a spring sprocket. A lever can increase or reduce the speed advencement.

A protective cover will be installed on this side.

The wheels have been taken from a toy and all parts are made with Evergreen of different shapes. The brass shafts are on their definive fittings. The building operation has been quite hard to be able to handle all the pieces with only two poor hands ...
The upper rake gives a very important rigidity for the spreading system.

The box is glued firmly. The front chassis is ready for wire mesh.

Bill76

The spreader shows its panties !!!

Bill76

Kiki the Walker is ready for a wheel sacrifice !!

Bill76

The PTO sliding shaft is made with Evergreen. It's not articulated and will stayed on its parking position.

Bill76

The wheel drive system will be protected from manure trash with a total shielding. It's all hinged to open wide for easy servicing maintenance. A cotter pin assures the locking when using.

Bill76

This part of the building has been the most difucult and really put me under pressure !!!!!

I've bought these chains in a cheap jewelry and choose the ''flat shape'' chain instead the traditionnal shape as log chain. This suits well and will slide along a pad wear. This pad is in the corner between the apron and the vertical side. It prevents for a too early wear.

I cut the chains at the good length and add some flat Evergreen parts. About 14 U rods will be fitted on these flats. This building was so light that I needed to put the parts on their right place for ten thousands times !!! This has taken more than three hours to make it right. After that,  three more hours have been necessary to put the conveyor on the bed. Slave work !!

mabloodhound

This has all been a very stinky subject; or eventually will be.......has anyone mentioned that?  ;D ;D

Excellent work down to the minute details.   Now where do we find cows of that scale to test it out?
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

Your fabrication has been excellent. I really enjoy watching the subassemblies take shape. -- Russ

Bill76

The box has been assembled and the overall shape becomes to look like a spreader. Two corners rods give more strength to the central bearing. On the back side, the beaters are fitted with strong ball bearings to cope with the heavy duty torque.

In the 70' and 80', french farmers started to get their own implements to deal with the increasing farm sizes and the lack of labor force. Due to the cost of this trailer, they needed to use as much as possible to make some profit on. So, the spreaders were able to do other haulages than manure.

That was the beginning of corn silage as well and just a few trailers manufacturers were able to sell equipments to carry this new ''load''. Farmers started to realize their own ''home-made'' dropsides to get more volume with the basis spreader. They added U rails and corrugated irons to build the sides. Usually, the front side was made with wire mesh as the back side. The back was articulated and hinged up on the rear rails.

The spreading system was just bolted to be remove to let the back side opened. This operation was able thanks to a front hydraulic loader or a chain hoist.
The chain conveyor stayed on the flatbed and put off the silage when using the PTO. It took about 5 minutes to clean out the trailer.

Bill76

The dropsides are about 50 centimeters high and 3,60 meters long.

By the way, the usually fork on the front loader measured 1 meter large by 80 centimeters high. The length of the tines were around 80 centimeters long. Between 12 and 14 full forks were needed to fill the spreader.

Bill76

A view of the right side of the rear back. This part of the system just holds the beater bearing. Bolds are from Punch and Die.

It sometimes happens that we load some stones from the barn and the damages could be important.

Bill76

The driving wheels will take place on the left.

Bill76

Claas has been the first manufacturer in France to launch the self propelled harvesters. It was in 1973. These machines were able to cope with 2 ou 3 rows and used Mercedes engines. The cab was an option and the grass header as well.