• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the roots !

Started by Bill76, June 20, 2012, 11:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

That is sure a darn fine poop slinger!
Great step by step photos too!
Thanks for taking the time to chronicle the construction.
-Marty

finescalerr

"Darn fine poop slinger". I like that description. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

It is amazing to me how much you are building from styrene.
Congratulations.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

Bill76

Thanks for following this project.

I think that some times it's easier to built a model than doing a conversion. That's what I did before for implements. With the measures, it's a bit longer but the result might be better and realistic. That's what I am looking for.

For the cows ? well, difficult to find some good figures of animals. 1/32 scale farm subjects is changing and new supplies are coming even if the quality can be discussed. Nothing comparable with military items. Still have to wait. Only Preiser can delever some figures that need to be detailled and re-painted for a realistic aspect.

So no cows on this diarama. For a next project, maybe.

This satanic machine seems to give you some lyric inspiration. I would be interested in some new descriptions as Marty did. So, give your ideas !

Bill76

The box is now fitted definitively on the main frame except the chain conveyor and the left side cover.
The only step is to sand different parts of the trailer as the corners and the joins. Two threaded rods are added on the front side as tensionners for the chains. Due to the high torque when spreading heavy loads, the chains slacken and need to be tighten. A bolt is tighten on this thread rod to maintain this position until the next ajustment.

The wire mesh is fitted on its chassis.

Next step : a good shower with soap and warm water before primer coat.

Bill76

As you can see, the box is on the wheels and not between the wheels. This is the main difference between the american design and the european design.

In the 30' and 40', the american spreaders were trailed by horses : a wheel drive system was assured by the wheels and the operator pulled and pushed tha control stick to connect or disconnect the system.

When the first tractors arrived, there was no PTO so the geardrive was still using the wheels. By the way, the lift capacity of the front loader was pretty low and the trailer needed to be low as well. That's one of the reasons that made manufacturers to launch trailers that have the box bolted on the wheels axle directly. The box is the frame. It's a good way to tight the price and to design a very simple machine. This design is still updated on many new american machines as spearders for manure and slurry. Its reliable.

Bill76

In opposition, european manufacturers prefered to get their spreaders higher for dealing with the narrow roads. This is still our main problem. I used to work for a soil implement manufacturer and every new project is a challenge with the new laws. We have to cope with very strict decrees as not to be larger than 3,5 meters and higher than 4,5 meters so it is quite difficult to realize a big equipment as a 40 feet wide cultivator with these obligatory measures.

The laws are the same for the trailers even if we have to deal with tha weight : a machine can't be louder than 11 tonnes (11000 kilograms) per axle.

Bill76

Quickly, tractors were equipped with a PTO and a rear hitch to be able to handle tools as plows and mounted chisels / cultivators. The spreaders took avantages of this new features so new designs appeared during the 60'.

After the second World War, the country has been ruined and the farm equipment was really weak. Through the Marschall Plan, lots of americans tractors and implements were delivered to start a new agriculture, more mechanical with less labor force unfortunatly. These news unknown materials have been a real revolution. The sole way to put the fiels back in crops production. The last thirty years have been really innovative in terms of power, performance, width of machines, ... And now GPS and autoguided systems have entered the farm market.

Now farmers can rely on this new technology for seeding or fertilizing without touching the steering wheel, operating with the five or six hydraulic valves needed by the rear machines. A good level in electronics or computers is needed to be able to drive a tractor or a combine. That's the way it goes now !

Georges

Wesleybeks

This thread has really blown me away with the quality of the workmanship aswell as the interesting info that you are providing.

Where did you get that meshing for the front of the trailer?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill76

Thank you guys.

I have grap this meshing from my ''boite à rabiot'' and it is a electric shaver. It's very hard to cut and this needs a Xuron scissors. The close net suits well with the scale 1/32.

mad gerald

Bill,

I still wonder how you get these tiny styrene bits fixed ... do you use CA glue, actone ... or else?

Cheers

Bill76

I use Zap-A-Gap (CA+) from Pacer (cyanocylate) and Liquid Poly from Humbrol. The frsi one leaves some glossy maks that need samding operations. I use the second one to simulate rough iron as thick sheet of iron. I lay a coat of Liquid Poly, let it dry then sand. Some scratches with a Dremel tool can be aplly as well. I follow the same technique that military builders use for armoured tanks.

The next purchase will probably be a milling machine and a lathe. Cutting Evergreen with a scapel is hard and the results can be better for good ajustments and to produce parts at right angles. I'm looking for the proxxon range rather than the Unimat range.

Some fittings need to be realize as it is in real and it's a good way to be sure of the strengh and rigidity. So, on the trailer, some parts are fitted with a styrene rod inside as on the cylinders because glue is not enough.

This first model in styrene has been a real challenge for the building and the painting.

Just for information, the ''boite à rabiot'' is the box where where you leave the remaining parts of kits. It's a pretty cool french expression !