• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Corrugated Roofing Tools .. all scales

Started by eTraxx, June 28, 2012, 02:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

The 'Tips and Tricks' section of PaperModelers.com is an excellent way to pass some time with some interesting ideas. Following my own advice I found a thread titled Corrugations made easy .. linked to on a Brit forum.  This links to a website, Fassett Studios and his modeling tools .. where clicking the links takes you to eBay .. and clicking through .. found Scale Coorugated metal makin die SET - O (1/48) scale. He has other scales .. and other tool also.

For the price $8.99 inc. shipping  .. I dropped an order for the O scale die.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

I'm to Old and Cranky to make my own Corrugated roofing :o
Craig

Malachi Constant

I bought a couple of scale rulers / squares from him thru the ebay listings a while back ... rec'd those quickly.  He has some interesting stuff:  squares, t-squares and French curves with scale markings.  Dunno if an ABS corrugated "die" would be any better than using .040" thick corrugated sheets from Evergreen or Plastruct, though.   ???  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Please report back when you have tried it. -- Russ

BKLN

I did actually try his HO scale version. They are not bad, but I am not 100 % happy.

His HO dies are actually to scale, but I think they have a little lack of definition. I tried different materials and different tools to push in the grooves. I ended up using some corrugated styrene sheet as a die. That makes the texture slightly oversized, but it just looks a little better.

But I love the simplicity of his product. And the price is not bad.

eTraxx

Report follows:

Fassett Studios 1:48 Corrugated Metal Die - $8.99 including shipping -

What I got:

• An instruction sheet for those that can't figure out that you either (1) rub the foil against the corrugations .. or (2) press the foil between the two dies.
  • Two plastic dies
  • A 1:48 triangle (freebie)

Everything out of the plastic and a piece of 4-ft x 8-ft aluminum waiting. The back of the dies has a pattern on it ...

The die. The corrugations are triangular you notice - CNC milled?

The top piece was formed by rubbing my thumb over the aluminum and pressing into the die. The lower one by pressing the aluminum foil between two dies. The bit on the right is from rubbing the foil against the textured back of the die.

Interesting. The one on top is from rubbing the foil against the die and the one underneath from pressing the foil between the two dies .. and the bit on the right the one from rubbing the foil against the textured back of the die.

.. and the freebie triangle
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

It seems to do a decent job. Thanks, Ed. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Let's see if I'm reading the notes against the pictures correctly ...

Looks like you get a softer/curved profile by rubbing the foil over the die and a more angular profile by stamping?  Looks like both could be quite useful.

Cheers,
Dallas

eTraxx

Quote from: Malachi Constant on July 09, 2012, 02:42:22 AM
Let's see if I'm reading the notes against the pictures correctly ...

Looks like you get a softer/curved profile by rubbing the foil over the die and a more angular profile by stamping?  Looks like both could be quite useful.

Cheers,
Dallas
Yep. The softer/curved profile was by rubbing the foil against the die with my thumb and the angular one by stamping.  The curvy one looks to me like 'regular' corrugated while the angular resembles some of the newer stuff. What I want next is to get my hands on some of the Food Service Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil. Hmmm. Need to ask where the local eateries get theirs at
Ed Traxler

Malachi Constant

You can find the "heavy" foil at the grocery store.  -- Dallas

eTraxx

I was referring to what's termed "Foodservice Foil". Evidently (hearsay since I haven't actually handled any) it is 'Sooper' Foil and heaver then the stuff sold in the grocery stores. Do a search for Reynolds 632 - Heavy-Duty Aluminum Foil. Damn stuff is expensive as hell .. $100 for 500' x 18". Found it for $62.77 a roll at Reliable Paper .. geeze. Evidently the List is $212 a roll. You would THINK it was gold plated! Wish I could find it sold in sheets as would like to 'play' with some.
Ed Traxler

BKLN

Ed,
you can also use these disposable turkey pans if you only need a limited supply.. Or cookie pans. They only cost a dollar or so.

BKLN

Malachi Constant

Aluminum shim stock ... down to .001" thickness:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=ibz9h7

$17-18 for a small roll (6" x 50")

eTraxx

Quote from: BKLN on July 09, 2012, 09:18:12 AM
Ed,
you can also use these disposable turkey pans if you only need a limited supply.. Or cookie pans. They only cost a dollar or so.
I used that for the corrugated roofing for my 1:24 building .. and the Fiskars Paper Crimper to make the corrugations. Have since thought that if I could make a new 'gear' for O scale .....

Ed Traxler