• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Custom Painting Mask fro Miracle Mask

Started by marc_reusser, July 08, 2012, 09:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thought I'd share this quick pic showing the application of a custom Miracle Mask, by Mal Mayfield on one of my builds. The mask worked like a dream.  The small letters are .050 tall.

If anyone is interested;

Here is his FB page: http://www.facebook.com/marc.reusser.1?ref=name#!/miraclemasks

Here is Mal's e-mail: miraclemasks@hotmail.co.uk
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Marc...........

Looks impressive ............. and quite relevant for me, being primarily an Auto' modeller. Trouble is I'm not on Facebook, and although I got the link to open it just showed a series of [quite impressive] builds that had been completed using this "Miracle Mask".
Any further details or info' available? It's the ability to produce accurate and decorative lettering that appeals the most.

PS ............ Interesting looking cab you have there.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

Perhaps a preferable alternative to decals or dry transfers. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Oooh ... really cool ... thanks, Marc.

Andi -- His FB page and email address both indicate that he's in the UK (Cornwall) ... seeing as a number of smaller UK vendors often operate without web pages, I imagine that he'd be receptive to an email seeking further details.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Thanks guys. They really were great for this. Far better than decals, because I could control the color, fading, etc., and they don't require the whole rigamarole of gloss coats and then matt cover coat.

Andi, Dallas is correct. I do not believe he has a website. Best way is to contact him is via email. He's a really nice and helpful fellow. He really put a lot of work into getting these to match the reference photo I sent him.

M

M-Works

SandiaPaul

The FB page does not seem to have ANY real info. Marc can you tell us a bit about it? How do you "stick" it down? How big(or little) can it be? Costs?
You mention you gave him a photo, how does it get from a photo to the mask? I assume you can give him line art as well?

This looks perfect for a couple of things I have in mind..

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Junior

Looks great Marc! HereĀ“s some more info.
http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

Anders

Malachi Constant

Marc --

Now that I've had a little coffee and I can process this better ...

WHAT is it?  I'm imagining some sort of laser cut frisket ... but it's clearly not a stencil, as the little middle bits of letters are there ... so maybe a laser cut frisket with some sort of carrier that allows you to lay down all the masking bits at once and then paint/peel?

BTW, good job to Anders for searching out the web page  ;) ... and the verbage there clearly indicates that he's happy to discuss projects.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Anders that's a great link, I did not kow he had that.

Paul, my need was for a simple one color masking job, so it was very basic to mask. Simply use his cover film over the cut mask (to hold the mask and cut-outs together when peeling from backing), peel mask from backing, place on model, burnish, remove cover film, remove letters with xacto and tweezers, apply paint, remove masking film.....and in my case lightly sand with 2000 for some weathering and to remove a couple of edges where due to my application method, there was a bit of a ridge.

I can't really give you the pricing, as it has no bearing on what it would actually be, this was a special project through a mutual aquaintance, and it was a rush order. And on his page, where he says you will get enought test/make mistakes, he's not kidding...there were 8 complete masks in my order.

Yes, he actually did this for me from a photo...no artwork. I sent him the photo of an old truck with this lettering/signage on it, and he did the artwork for me...no more than a week after our first correspondence, till the masks were in my mailbox. (again, this was a unique situation...don't know how others would fare....but like he says....if you don't ask, you'll never know.)

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Dallas,...sorry..cross post on that lt one.

It is like a fisket...but much thinner and with better adhesion. These type of msks have been around for a while in armor circles, for insignias letters and numbers..even tiny unit markings.

The masks are knife cut...vey accurately, and only through the film not touching the backing...so no connectors are needed like on a stencil. The transfer film holds it all together when removing the mask from the backing.....then whenthe letters are peeled, the insides of letters, like o's and b's remain...though when pulling up the surrounding letters on the real tiny type a few shifted just slightly...but pushed right back into place with a tothpick.

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Looks great. Looks like the way to get custom lettering.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

billmart

Thanks for the tip, Marc.  I have a couple of projects that need this sort of thing.

Bill Martinsen

SandiaPaul

Thanks Marc, this looks like a neat method.

Paul
Paul

Ray Dunakin

Very cool stuff, I'm sure I will find some uses for it! For instance, I bet it would be great for putting lettering on scale windows.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

W.P. Rayner

Looks good Marc, the process holds a lot of promise. However (slipping into my pain-in-the-ass nitpicker mode), the font appears to be Century Gothic Bold which was designed in 1990, perhaps a little too modern for the truck, though I suspect no one but another type nerd would spot it (giveaway is the "C"). Futura, designed in 1927 would have been a more appropriate choice...  :(

Paul ->returning to the corner->