• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Custom Painting Mask fro Miracle Mask

Started by marc_reusser, July 08, 2012, 09:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Paul, I'm going to send you big box of tiny rivets. :P ;D ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

I went back for a look-see regards the font style, and mainly because nothing scratched my eye when I looked at it previously.
You may be right Paul, and I would certainly bow to your obvious knowledge.
But, honestly, it reads as a piece of simple utilitarian sign-writing to me. In fact the "C" reminds me of many of the less than perfectly formed "C's" that I used to see [...way to many sees{Cs} in that sentence] around and about, in fact it struck me as a piece of rural signwriting that might pass as the signature work of a well known and oft used local character - it all adds to the back story to my mind.
Not trying to be contrary you understand - just how another man sees the same image.

And not trying to prove a point but perhaps an amusing aside for Marc! - whom it appears likes his bikes? - Here's a pic' of mine [which I thought might interest you - The Pashley Parabike] but more pertinently some old signs in the background that show some quite esoteric and individual styles.

Again, not trying to be a clever dick! ........... just adding to the conversation.   :-\
KBO..................... Andi.

marc_reusser

Well, attached is a composite pic, showing the photo I sent him (and my painted cab)...with the discussion that he would do the best he could in the time frame, with the fonts he had (without modifying them), and given the machine's and material's limitations (note that the original address was "56", and we changed it to "21" as the 56 at that size was creating some slight issues, and not every mask of the 8 he was cutting was coming out the same on it.

...given all the above.....there is really nothing I could even begin to take issue with.  :)....and like Andi notes, the sign on the truck does seem to have been painted by the Journeyman type sign painters of the period (remember Woodie Guthrie  ;D )

Andi...interesting bike..I like it...well maintained. Dont recall ever before seeing that type of frame and bottom bracket set-up. The signs in the background though...they scare me...too "cutesy" and small-town-tourist-trapish ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Quote from: marc_reusser on July 11, 2012, 01:00:35 AM
Andi...interesting bike..I like it...well maintained. Dont recall ever before seeing that type of frame and bottom bracket set-up. The signs in the background though...they scare me...too "cutesy" and small-town-tourist-trapish ;D

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread - but rather just to tie the loose ends.

I know what you mean about the Cutsey-Folksey" brigade, they've kind of devalued the "art & craft" involved in the original and traditional style of signwriting. Not so much now but I used to practise as a sign-writer when times became tough and crusts were hard to come by. Enjoyed it too - if not only for the work environment ... I used to be involved with vintage machinery and the Narrow boat traditions. I'm still a sucker for a good bit of hand lettering.

The bike - [whilst I realise not your cup of tea per se] - is in fact a copy of the 'folding' BSA bicycle that was parachuted into France during the D-Day landings ... hence Parabike. A very old, simple, elegant and clever design with a lot of provenance - that in itself is what I suspected might pique your interest.

Now back to normal viewing.
KBO..................... Andi.