• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Lombard Rail Truck

Started by Scratchman, March 16, 2008, 06:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

It's really shaping up, Gordon. Outstanding.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Gordon as always perfect workmanship,  Can't wait for the engine parts to start to appear.
This gets better with every post.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

chester

Gordon, magnificent work on the details here. I'm looking forward to those great finished photos of yours. Thanks for the update. But if I may be so bold as to issue a complaint, Your photos to date have been a bit too dark on my monitor. Can/should they be lightened?

finescalerr

Chester, Gordon's photos are the way a camera's sensor exposes light colors and light backgrounds. My monitor must be accurately calibrated to match the press output of my printer so I know the images are okay. For publication, I modify photos to appear the way you'd like to see them here. Since Gordon's pictures are acceptably exposed straight out of the camera and still appear too dark to you, I'd suggest you adjust your own monitor to provide a little (not a lot) more brightness and/or contrast. -- Russ

Belg

Gordon, thanks so much for showing us your updates and the pics show up fine on my monitor as well, so Chester I think its your computer that may need some adjustment.

Hey Terry did you ever go check out the gas tank thing? And where are the proto pictures for us to see?? Thanks Pat

Terry Harper

Gordon,

Its looking great!

Pat here is a link to some photos of the prototype:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1087492151046304250DmciQT

As for the routing of the fuel line. Unfortunatly the machine I looked at has long since lost all its fuel lines! While all the others in the collection are set up with single tanks.

In a batch of photos that just came in some machines have a simple 50 gallon drum for the spare tank while others have two factory tanks as Gordon has depicted. Some have the tanks on diffrent levels while others have both tanks postiioned further aft behind a widened cab. I suspect the split level arangement meant required a fuel cock accessable from the cab.

Gordon,

Note the cool axe holder - looks like a piece of leather or canvas nailed to the side. Note that this machine has both tanks sitting on the back platform at the same elevation as well as a wide cab. Also note the neat wooden tool box.

Note the second photo depicts two factory tanks a diffrent levels. One sitiuated beside the original narrow cab the other on the platform.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Terry

Scratchman

Thanks Guys for your comments. Terry the link and two photos are great, just in time for my tool box. Chester, the last 6 pix I posted were taken very near dark and are darker than I like.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/
Flickr

Scratchman

I decided instead of waiting a couple of more weeks until I'm finished to post progress pictures now. The left side has all the main detail, but I still have some detail on the right side to finish along with all the wiring on the engine and firewall, gas lines, and controls.

Gordon Birrell

lhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Beautiful workmanship and detailing! It looks very "delicate"...almost rickety in a sense.....just splendid.

Are you planning on weathering the engine and drive train areas with things like oil, grease and other misc stains?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Outstanding workmanship.  Just beautifuly done, doesn't get any better than that.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

Gordon,

wonderfull,  seeing the engine and the complete vehicle, the same question as Marc is asking,  come up in my mind.   To balance the weathered impression of the rest and particullary the wood I think the engine needs a more "used" look.

this is benchmark material for me. 
  very , very impressive.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Terry Harper

Gordon,

You certainly caught the flavor of it.

Best regards,

Terry

lab-dad

WOW Gordon,
That engine is beautiful!
After building one from scratch, I'd love to see/hear more about the construction.
Especially some of the more difficult shapes (heads, plugs, manifolds)
-Marty

chester

Fabulous engine detail. You must have endless hours of research in this piece along with the magnificent building of it.

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments.

Marc and Jocq - I have been doing oil washes to the drive train and will do the engine also.

Terry - thanks for posting the photo of the engine it was a great help.

Chester - the only info. I had was Terry's plans and the photo he posted here today.

Marty - I was going to ask you the same things. I'm looking forward to the build report on your critter in the upcoming Modeler's annual. The build report for this rail truck and the Doane will be in next year's  annual. 

Gordon Birrell
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/