• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Highest resolution 3D printing?

Started by SandiaPaul, July 21, 2012, 07:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

I hope most of us are sophisticated enough to have anticipated the shortcomings and erroneous perceptions the author lists. 3-D printing is just another tool, like a table saw, plaster, or paper. All of us already know that, right? -- Russ

mabloodhound

I see and use 3D printing to obtain detail parts for my models and structures.   That special item that had to be built from tiny scraps can now be a one piece item.   And if you need more than one, multiples are cheap enough from 3D printers.
I don't think these will turn into modeling complete structures or vehicles as a viable, cost effective alternative.   Besides, I like scratch building, just not the tedious itsy bitsy detail making.   I do know others enjoy that portion also and their modeling shown here is superb.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bexley

One thing I don't see mentioned a lot id resin quality. I didn't realize how much it affects prints. In getting samples sent to us from different machines, you can see a wide range of quality/resolution from the same machine using different resins. We got some prints from a $10,000 machine that were as good as those from a $70,000 machine. It seems a lot of the machine manufacturers are developing their own proprietary resins, too, so over time, I think you'll see better and better detail being produced from the same equipment.

Also, my coworker bought a $2500 machine for himself, to play around with. We're going to see if we can get decent quality of it, before plunging in and dropping 70k on one for work. He seems to think that he can produce fine enough quality with it for our needs. I'm a little skeptical, but hopeful. If it works well enough, I know where next year's annual bonus is going...
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

finescalerr

That information about the resin is pretty interesting; it confirms something I had wondered about. Please keep us up to date on what you learn about the entire process, costs, and suitability for modeling. -- Russ