• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Adrian Smith's Frankenstein by Industria Mechanika

Started by FichtenFoo, July 31, 2012, 10:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Something different for you guys!

Hi guys, I started my pre-production build-up of the 1/8 scale Adrian Smith Frankenstein kit by Industria Mechanika. Normally I don't build figures, but this one is REALLY awesome. Lots of armor to rust and weather, and no worries about getting flesh tones correct. Just need to make him look patchy and partially decayed.

I'm going to start with some white primer and probably will do the armor portions first in a combo of shiny metal and decayed rust.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-adrian-smiths-frankenstein-by-industria-mechanika/

I'm of course a tad biased, but honestly this is a really nice kit. It went together very easily despite having 49 parts, and I didn't have the benefit of the instructions I made AFTER this! The resin is a light gray which I insisted on because it's easier on the eyes to clean-up than white or cream. And let's face it, most of us will prime it in white anyway afterwards anyway. It's also pretty easy to work with. Sands and scrapes with an exacto easily for the minor seam clean-up. Putty use was minimal, in fact I only needed it in two spots to make clean-up easier in some cloth folds. (back of right leg)

The kit comes with real chain mail and is easy enough to work with provided you have some sharp pointy wire cutters. I used a cheap purple-handled pair from Michael's for example. There's plenty in the 3″ square to detail the kit based on the instructions with some extra left over to add elsewhere. The included chain for the mace is very easy to bend the links for adding them to the resin parts.

Without the base, the figure stands 12″ tall. The best way to describe it is "beefy". Really muscularly thick, armored, and menacing.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-adrian-smiths-frankenstein-by-industria-mechanika/

Chicks dig giant robots.

lab-dad

Really cool!
Let me know when you come out with the Missus!
Just about finished with my Hornethropter too!
-Mj

Bexley

I like the sculpt, but too big for my taste. It'd take me a year to complete it.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

FichtenFoo

Quote from: lab-dad on August 01, 2012, 05:27:18 AM
Really cool!
Let me know when you come out with the Missus!
Just about finished with my Hornethropter too!
-Mj

I can only imagine what the "bride" would look like! I should ask Adrian about it if this one sells a whole run. Looking forward to your hornet. I have a new fish in the works and a new insect in the planning stages. (sketching now)

Quote from: Bexley on August 02, 2012, 06:09:27 PM
I like the sculpt, but too big for my taste. It'd take me a year to complete it.
Will probably take me a month or so at least due to the oils I plan to use. So long to dry! (at least I have a hot-box for oil-painted stuff... wood crate with lightbulb)
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on August 02, 2012, 06:21:35 PM

Quote from: Bexley on August 02, 2012, 06:09:27 PM
Will probably take me a month or so at least due to the oils I plan to use. So long to dry! (at least I have a hot-box for oil-painted stuff... wood crate with lightbulb)

So , Michael , if you are sitting around kicking your heels waiting for oil paints to dry you should have plenty of time to start planning the next flying boat ! Spring next year ?
   I'll keep nagging until I see some drawings !

Nick

FichtenFoo

I'm still working on it. And the next fish and the next "hornet" and more... they're coming!!!

Today I'm riveting the new fish AND preboxing Frankensteins before the resin comes tomorrow.
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

Nice start!

How big/tall is this thing?

(love the boxer shorts  ;) ;D)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

THanks! Head to toe, not including the base, he's 12" tall. Very beefy.
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Thanks! I just finished up the "scabs" and such around the incisions and the stitching. The torso's in the hotbox now and tomorrow I can continue. I'm NOT a figure painter... not at all..., but this one's going really well. Can't wait to get to the rusty armor!
Chicks dig giant robots.

Ray Dunakin

Cool. I didn't realize the helmet was removable.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Reminds me of a blind date from decades ago .... -- Russ

FichtenFoo

Quote from: finescalerr on August 07, 2012, 12:37:05 AM
Hahah! I had one of those too. I was trying to figure out a way to explain taking my coat to the bathroom throughout the date, then making a run for it.
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on August 07, 2012, 06:02:05 AM
Quote from: finescalerr on August 07, 2012, 12:37:05 AM
Hahah! I had one of those too. I was trying to figure out a way to explain taking my coat to the bathroom throughout the date, then making a run for it.

Did he ever catch you ?