• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Eat Ye Heart Out , Barney !

Started by shropshire lad, August 19, 2012, 06:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

How do you get your bricks so straight?

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Quote from: danpickard on September 18, 2012, 08:57:57 PM
Thats a typo Craig...was meant to be "patiented method"  ;)

No, no...he's definitely tacking the slacker way out...I checked....and ordered the same easy way out.

Looking bloody splendid, Nick.....KBO (to pilfer from Andi's lexicon).

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

shropshire lad

Quote from: artizen on September 18, 2012, 09:56:08 PM
How do you get your bricks so straight?

Ian ,

The secret is in the spacer lugs .

As you can see in the second photo of my previous post ( you did look at the second photo ?) I am using the Lego as a former and build my walls against it . The only problem is that I have to construct my building to the size of the Lego , but that isn't that much of a problem .

Nick

shropshire lad

These are the two buildings I am using for inspiration .

shropshire lad

A different view of the first building

shropshire lad

artizen

Love the prototypes.

Two questions about the use of Lego though - how do you represent the mortar courses between them? Where do you buy them? I would also like to see what they look like underneath.

I hope you will be giving us all lessons in how to achieve this look using Lego?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
Brisbane, Australia

lab-dad

Looking splendid Nick!
Just to think (if I ever get to it) My "shed will be at least 36" long!

Question
Will you be doing the arches over some of the doors?
If so please do a tutorial as I wish to do this on my walls.
-Marty

Wesleybeks

WOW Nick

This will be impressive, and a great thread to follow.

My question is how do you glue the rows together?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

shropshire lad

Quote from: artizen on September 19, 2012, 05:09:42 AM
Love the prototypes.

Two questions about the use of Lego though - how do you represent the mortar courses between them? Where do you buy them? I would also like to see what they look like underneath.

I hope you will be giving us all lessons in how to achieve this look using Lego?

Ian ,

You have read this , haven't you ? http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1518.15 .  It is not actually Lego I am using but cast coloured plaster . It just looks like strips of Lego .  Underneath they look like flat strips of coloured plaster . The joke is that at the beginning of this thread I gave the impression that I was going to build it out of Lego when there was obviously no intention of doing so . I started by using invividual bricks but part way through the build the good people at Diorama Debris came up with some moulds to make the brickwork in strips thereby speeding up construction by tenfold . I now expect to finish this building within my own lifetime !

To answer Wesleybeks question , I glue each row down with tacky glue . Which may not be the best thing as it is not waterproof and to finish of the mortar it is necessary to wet the wall so that the mortar itself ( Polyfilla out of a tube . Or as it is strangely known in The States as " spackle" ) doesn't dry out too fast . A waterproof carpenters glue might be more sensible .

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on September 19, 2012, 05:52:44 AM
Looking splendid Nick!
Just to think (if I ever get to it) My "shed will be at least 36" long!

Question
Will you be doing the arches over some of the doors?
If so please do a tutorial as I wish to do this on my walls.
-Marty

Marty ,

I do intend having brick arches over the doors but I'm hoping I won't have to make them myself . I have been in discussion with Louise at Diorama Debris about the possibility of making a mould that has preformed brick arches in a number of different widths . This will make our life a lot easier , and I'm all for an easy life .

Making a brick arch in 1/16th scale shouldn't be too difficult and I will suggest a possible way a bit later . Not now as I should be working . I've got a nice bit of stonework to do on the house ,

Nick

Malachi Constant

You've really mucked up that nice shiny Lego building you had going there!  8)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

artizen

Thanks Nick. I hadn't seen the original thread you posted about Diorama Debris. The concept is fabulous but the wrong scale for me - I am currently working in 1:24 but I have a long way to go and might investigate the idea of creating my own 1:24 mould to create larger wall areas in one pour. The results are certainly worth it!
Ian Hodgkiss
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Nick, if you actually build those structures in miniature I will publish a book to display them even if I already have retired. Yes, despite your rather odd personality, predilection to stand in corners, and that Ogdenian depravity we all have come to expect, I have every confidence in your craftsmanship and artistic ability. -- Russ