• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Eat Ye Heart Out , Barney !

Started by shropshire lad, August 19, 2012, 06:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Oh, I see.  I thought those collapsed old things were some of Nick's work gone wrong  ;D

The moulds being offered by Diorama Debri look pretty good, and clever in their design.  The brick strips certainly take away some of the madness of brick on brick.  Not enough in their current range for me (1:48), but I really like the concept.  Shall put them on the idea's pile, incase they don't have more offerings come out in the smaller scale.

Cheers,
Dan

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on September 20, 2012, 03:10:55 AM
Oh, I see.  I thought those collapsed old things were some of Nick's work gone wrong  ;D

The moulds being offered by Diorama Debri look pretty good, and clever in their design.  The brick strips certainly take away some of the madness of brick on brick.  Not enough in their current range for me (1:48), but I really like the concept.  Shall put them on the idea's pile, incase they don't have more offerings come out in the smaller scale.

Cheers,
Dan

My work never goes wrong . It just sometimes needs to go to Plan B .

They are only producing moulds in 1/48th scale at my suggestion so it is by no means certain if they will be successful . It is a bit of a Catch 22 situation , they need to make the moulds available for people to buy them but if they don't sell particularly well there is no real incentive to produce more . It is for that reason I suggested that if they produced slate moulds suitable for this scale they should also be suitable for other scales .

What ought to be the clincher to scratchbuild buildings in this scale is if they were able to make moulds for brickstrips like the ones in 1/35th scale , but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess whether it is possible . Even if they were in that dreadfully boring bond of strecher bond would be a start .

These moulds should also be of interest to military modellers who model in that scale .

Part of the idea was to promote the company Down Under and the idea was to bring some moulds with me when I came to sell to Conventioneers . As there is more 1/48th scale modelling than 1/35th I thought that they might sell better .

You don't really know until you try ,

Nick

The moulds to make 1/35th scale Spanish barrel tiles are something else . Definitely very challenging to get right , but make a great looking product .

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on September 20, 2012, 01:10:27 AM
Nick, if you actually build those structures in miniature I will publish a book to display them even if I already have retired. Yes, despite your rather odd personality, predilection to stand in corners, and that Ogdenian depravity we all have come to expect, I have every confidence in your craftsmanship and artistic ability. -- Russ

Ahh , you say the sweetest thing .

Louise at DD has already suggested I do a book , but I'm a bloody builder , fer chissakes , and builders don't do writing !

Nick

danpickard

Nick,
Certainly more 1:48 guys than 1:35 in this neck of the woods, although there have been one or two that have had a bit of a dabble in the slightly bigger scale, although not much more than small diorama projects that I'm aware of.  I know of a few 1:48 guys though that have done some small brick on brick efforts (such as building extensions, or short walls), but not more complete structures like you have here or in the past.

I guess the problem for the mould makers is that 1:35 is probably a more popular military scale (not so much railway), and for the vast majority or railway modellers, using individual bricks is just nuts (they would rather be driving trains, than handlaying brick walls, when the quick whole wall casting is the common easy solution...not to say that is the best look, but for many "railway" minds its more than suitable - thats a whole different debate though!).

For what its worth, I think the price of those moulds is very reasonabe. The time and materials to produce those moulds would easily be worth the small fee they are asking.

Cheers,
Dan

michael mott

Just checking in for the first time on this thread, made my day! The levity at the beginning was perfect, great looking start Nick, I see you are accused of one of my own character flaws...... finishing.

Michael

k27rgs

Hi Nick.    Yep it's me.     
I saw the leggos on page 1 and thought WTF.....
  but calmed down and saw your other "clever dick" brick ideas.

regards   "M"

shropshire lad

Quote from: k27rgs on October 04, 2012, 04:11:26 AM
Hi Nick.    Yep it's me.     
I saw the leggos on page 1 and thought WTF.....
  but calmed down and saw your other "clever dick" brick ideas.

regards   "M"

Yup , I'm not just a pretty face . Don't answer that .

shropshire lad

Progress report

From this :

shropshire lad

To this :

shropshire lad

To this :

lab-dad

WOW!
Great progress!!!!
Are those "slate" tiles?
What are they made of?
How are they attached?

One more;
Frogs go up or down? (I'm assuming down but........)

Mj
FBLOA
future brick layers of America

Chuck Doan

Wow! Great looking roof.

I am concerned about the lack of scaffolding though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

k27rgs

I've been having a running joke with my step brother... who is a bricky,  about leego's. 
I need to put some of these images on my FB page.

His comment last week was... "How's your leggo playing mates", referring to our model making skills.

michael mott

Lovely roof, I imaging there will not be any worries about trying to keep this shed warm.

Michael

finescalerr

Adequate thus far although I mourn the loss of Legos. Thanks for the update. -- Russ