• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Tourbillon revisited...

Started by W.P. Rayner, August 30, 2012, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

For Michael, Paul and NK (fellow horological enthusiasts)...

Here's the latest rendering of the co-axial Tourbillon. I've refined some of the textures and reworked the lighting - very difficult to light a small, complex object such as this. For those who aren't familiar with these mechanisms, Tourbillons are usually smaller in diameter than your typical fingernail and weigh less than a gram... incredible works of masterful machining in miniature, much of it done by hand. Rendering is a widescreen format image that can be used as a desktop if you're so inclined. As usual, rendering run in Keyshot 3 Pro. Just came up with some more detailed reference photos of the VH Classic, so now reworking some of the details of the case and bezel construction that I missed, then back to the movement...

Paul

SandiaPaul

That's really great!

Have you played with the animation features in Keyshot?
We need to see this running!

Paul
Paul

nk

Very very nice indeed. George Daniels would be very pleased with this. Since Omega has gone almost 100% coaxial, I wonder if they have an interest in something like this...a coaxial tourbillon Ploprof. Now there s a thought!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys....

NK: yes, the Ploprof is big enough for a Tourbillon though they're not really suited to a "dive" watch. Don't know if anyone's tried that yet, would be an interesting experiment, especially with a gyrotourbillon, which would seem to make sense.... hmmmm

Paul: I agree, I'd love to produce an animated version of this. I've done just a little experimenting with the Keyshot animation feature, but to do it properly, it needs a lot more CPU power than I have available at this point. That's one of those projects I've put in the "some day" file, some day when I have an eight-core machine on the desk!

Paul