• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Small weekend project...

Started by W.P. Rayner, September 02, 2012, 02:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Ok, it's not a model project, but a I did use my lathe... that counts for something  ;).

Just completed one of those little projects I've been meaning to do for years. The display case I have for one of my grandfather's pocket watches came with a cheezy brass-plated plastic support arm that over the years has sagged to the point where the watch was resting on the wood base. Not only was the support arm cheap and ugly but it wasn't doing its job properly. I discarded the arm and formed a new support from a length of nickel-silver rod, then free-hand turned a small support pillar from another piece of nickel-silver. Now the watch hangs properly no longer resting on the wood base. The watch is a W C Rayner from my grandfather's old shop.

First photo shows the original plastic support.

Second photo shows the new nickel-silver support arm.

Third is a detail shot of the turned pillar.

Paul

marc_reusser

Nice. I like the simplicity and curved/arched top. More graceful. My only critique would be re. end of the rod where the watch hangs...this seems a bit abrupt and blunt, compared with the arch, the detail at the base, and the elegant functional simplicity of the watch (I actually really like the wtch for just that reason...it gracious, yet has that truly funcion built aesthetic, with just the right amount of detail and refinement)....maybe consider doing a flattened rod end with a spoon-ish end/holding curve...something that reflects or pays homage to the characteristics of the watch design.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Marc, I appreciate your comments. In real life, it doesn't look as blunt as it appears in the photo. I did think of tapering the hook end, but unfortunately didn't think of it until after I'd formed the hook. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do so now that it's formed without making it look like a half-assed job. I may just add a little more chamfer to the very end to soften it a bit, or, I may just leave it alone. It's very easy to overwork something...

Paul

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Hi Paul,

which is now so a very nice presentation of the clock of your grandfather.

To round off these rods are hollow cutters.

I use the Trephine but more for the model and less for jewelry.
With the hollow cutters can be produced that is ideal rivet heads.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

SandiaPaul

Paul, nice.  I have my dads Illinois watch he used on the railroad and my grandfathers Elgin that he used on the railroad. They have been sitting in boxes for forever. I really should get them out and display them.

Design-HSB:
I got a few of those cutters in a box of misc junk I bought once, do you know where to buy these?

Thanks,

Paul P
Paul

Design-HSB

Hi Paul,

here in Germany there are these milling cutters in goldsmith supplies.

An address this, for example this.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

W.P. Rayner

Thank you gentlemen.

Helmut: there is a tool for almost everything these days, but unfortunately never enough funds. I'll have to add these to my wish list... thanks for the tip.

Paul: similar cutters are available from Rio Grande. Check them out at http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Dentsply-Maillefer-Cup-Burs/342368?pos=23

Paul