• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The backyard

Started by Per Olav Lund, September 15, 2012, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Olav Lund

Hello

Good to be back at the desk after a long absence due to reorganisation of my hobby room.

The first project on my desk is an another wooden house project in 1/35 scale, I dont know why but these projects really appel to me and I find them really enjoyable and a fresh change from my usually military projects.

Like my previous house build the scene is not set when starting the project but it will be a scene from a back yard, maybe in Norway? , the story for the scene will hopefully evolve as the project goes on.

Some in progress pics

Per Olav

Mobilgas

Wow  ;D  Look's really great.
Craig

Design-HSB

Congratulations on this truly unique model Per Olav.

I would like to know more about the construction and the materials used.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

I very much like how the composition draws the viewer into the diorama. And, yes, please tell us more about how you built it, weathering and painting techniques, and materials. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Wow!! Great modeling, and a really attractive little scene!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

danpickard

Colour, texture, angles, interesting...its all there.  Thats a pretty moody and stuning capture in that little courtyard that has been growing and growing.  I want to see it grow some more.  Very much looking forward to some further detailing of this one.  Just superb work, thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Dan

chester

Wonderful stuff. I can almost smell the dampness and mold.

BKruger

Very nice, stunning modeling!

artizen

Obviously more than one lunchtime's work there then!!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Malachi Constant

Great modeling and wonderful composition of that courtyard scene ... kinda begs for a little activity there ... wonder what's coming next?  ???  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

1-32

Per Olav Lund

Quote from: finescalerr on September 15, 2012, 01:34:28 PM
I very much like how the composition draws the viewer into the diorama. And, yes, please tell us more about how you built it, weathering and painting techniques, and materials. -- Russ

Russ,
The wooden parts is made using basswood strips. The base colour is different greyish AK washes to get an old wood look. The green and white color is Ranger crackle paint, known to most of you by now  :)
The strips are glued to thin veneer  wich is slightly bent to obtain an old and weary look.
The tiles are from the Juuvela range, crisp and nice tiles made from plastic.  Painted using different Vallejo colors.

The concrete on the ground and the cement part of the right hand building is made from Sibatrol a very nice product for  making this kind of material. Easy to sand and cut and a perfect scale structure.
The concrete wall on the left is made in two parts to make the transport (cabin baggage size  :)) easier. The main structure of the wall is made from plastic plates covered with car body filler to simulate the concrete. Thewall is painted with acrylics and weathered using different AK washes.
The tobacco comercial is airbrushed on using a mask made of thin plastic, I made the mask at my work using an engraving machine cutting out the pattern.
The glass in the windows is thin microscope glass, perfect for this scale.

Ok, this is some of the material used, probably forgotten many but please  feel free to ask about any questions regarding the project.

I'll keep you updated  :)

Per Olav

finescalerr

Oh, if that's all it takes then I probably will be able to do an equally good job in hour or two. Of course there's also that little matter of talent .... -- Russ

marc_reusser

Truly stunning. Wonderful diversity of materials and textures. Great color pallette. Very creative scene and composition....
.as always. Makes me wonder why I should continue torturing myself in this hobby.....

Am curious what the Sibatrol is.....did a google search and came up with nothing.  Is it like what I know as Cibatool or Renshape?
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Really rather good! ... I've been trying to put something together like this for about the last two years. Nothing like it and nowhere near, very frustrating.
I'm liking the asymmetrical composition, and as mentioned the rather eclectic assembly of textures, materials and surfaces: colours are particularly believable too.
If I have one criticism (dare I?) - it is rather one of mood. Whilst you have captured a genuine sense of atmosphere it does look rather dank and miserable. You feel if you were to be standing there you would shudder, turn up your collar and look for an excuse to leave - admirable, but not very conducive to a happy feel-good moment.
I guess it all depends on how you're going to populate it and the story you're about to tell??

Other than that small matter - Huzzahs from me.
KBO..................... Andi.