• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Latest Horological Rendering...

Started by W.P. Rayner, September 23, 2012, 07:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

No Russ, horological doesn't have anything to do with nubile yet trashy young women in thongs....  ;)

This is latest rendering of my work-in-progress on the Vianney Halter Classic movement. I still have a few wheels and the escapement to draw, but it's getting there. Drawing is being done in Autodesk Inventor Pro 2013, rendering in Keyshot 3 Pro.

Paul

finescalerr

Almost as gorgeous as a nubile yet trashy young woman in a thong. So is the Bugatti rendering. -- Russ

marc_reusser

All these watch renderings you are doing are just amazing....so I have to ask, where are you getting all the technical data, and specs on the works for these? ....gear tooth count, material thicknesses?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Thank you. Marc; in the instance of this particular watch, I'm using several excellent reference photographs along with two known dimensions: overall case diameter and thickness.   From these I extrapolate the necessary dimensions. Knowledge of watch design and construction is also a help. The beauty of working with a parametric CAD application is that after I've modeled a part and added it to the main watch assembly, if I see that the part's dimensions don't appear to be correct or a conflict develops between individual parts, all I have to do is adjust the necessary dimensions and the generated model(s) will change accordingly (assuming that is, that I've applied the correct parametric constraints to the original drawing). I don't have to redraw a part to make dimension corrections. A rendering of the case and face of this watch is posted at http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1889.msg36369#msg36369

Paul

Update: I was just contacted by Mr. Halter and he has graciously offered any technical information and reference material I need to complete the watch. This may mean of course, a reworking of the drawings I've completed to date, but the offer of assistance from the maker is a tangible validation of my work to date on his watch and a huge compliment.

Paul

W.P. Rayner

At the risk of being boring and tedious, here's another view of work-to-date on the Classic movement. I corrected a few minor errors, reworked some of the textures and created a new light environment in HDR Light Studio. Still have a few wheels and the escapement to draw, but it's getting there...

Paul

finescalerr

Looks beautiful but it's useless for telling time. -- ssuR

Chuck Doan

That's becuase its a timeless design!

Beautiful work Paul. Must have been fun to put the lettering on that angled surface on a circle!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Thank you Chuck... so there Russ  ;).

Actually Chuck, the lettering wasn't that difficult. The lettering was all set in plan view, then engraved into the solid ring by an extrusion process. The lettering then becomes part of the solid so will move with the solid when the model is positioned for rendering.

Paul