• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What tool would you like that you don't have?

Started by RichD, October 08, 2012, 08:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichD

This is a just curious posting...

What tool would you like to have (for building models) that you don't currently have... either because it is too expensive or you just can't find it locally?  (would the list be the same if cost were not a factor)

Is it a handtool?
Is it something exotic.. like a laser engraver ?
A metal lathe?
Is it more like a jig?
More clamps?
A paint booth?

For me it is the paint booth, which in a few months I hope to build.

Rich D

lab-dad

A Sherline mill.
My lathe converts to a mill but it would be nice to have both.
Of course CNC would be even better then the knowledge of how to do it (CNC)
When I retire i will look for classes.

-Marty

shropshire lad

A trowel and a spirit level so that I can construct my brick buildings plumb and level !

Ray Dunakin

A drill press would be nice. I could also use a table saw, or a band saw.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

ooo! - Just got it yesterday perchance - a "Watchmakers" lathe, came with most of the toys too by the look of it.
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

A better brain, better hand to eye coordination, a better ability to spot details and translate them to my modeling, more patience. In short, an improved mind and younger body. -- Russ

modelico

Quote from: finescalerr on October 08, 2012, 01:57:09 PM
A better brain, better hand to eye coordination, a better ability to spot details and translate them to my modeling, more patience. In short, an improved mind and younger body. -- Russ
Russ, there seem to be an opposite relationship between age/wisdom for modelling and ability to perform. However you consider it, the dead line is always the same.
Anyway you are a gifted guy! Keep your ability as it is now (and I sincerely envy) and simply let time go by!
Artificial intelligence is not a substitute for natural stupidity

David Emery

Mobilgas

Is a young Girl with big T.t'. a TOOL??.....I want a Girl that would be able to build my models as good as the best modelers in the WORLD ;D.... Use the computer...and do CAD work....be a top machinest.....paint and weather.....cast her own parts......and listen and do everything i ask her to DO ::)
Craig

marc_reusser

Quote from: Mobilgas on October 08, 2012, 03:19:04 PM
Is a young Girl with big T.t'. a TOOL??.....::)

No, but she might think of you as one if you asked her to build models for you ;) ;D :P ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Not a tool per-say, but I would just like more time at the bench to better my skills and get more stuff actually built/done.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

BKruger

A mini-table saw and drill press would be nice.

If I was less ADD about the hobby and focus on actually completing a project would be also be nice. Funny thing is I put some much attention to detail at work and complete tasks at hand, but for the life of me can't apply the same to the hobby. Hrmph...

finescalerr

Preac may be the answer to your lust for those two power tools. Superb. Check 'em out. -- Russ

RichD

Russ.. I was looking for Preac the other day and found a website that said they were NOLONGER avaiable.

Does anyone else have other or better news?

I was going to buy one of the Preac thickness sanders.  At least I remember they once made one

RichD

lab-dad

Found this;

Friday, February 17, 2012
Update: Model Expo and the Micro-Precision Table Saw from Preac Tool Company
Just as an update to our Preac Saw post,  I'm heading up to New York on Monday to chat with Arlene about  manufacturing the saw on their behalf - our way of continuing the Preac legacy.
I'll let you know what the results are after my trip! Wish me (us) luck!

Many of you may remember the Micro-Precision Table Saw from Preac Tool Company - a great saw from a great company! Ask any modeler who owns one--There is no other modelers tool on the market that enjoys such popularity. Professional Modelers, Museum Shops, and Amateurs the world over own "A Preac"!

Unfortunately, Charlie Files (the owner of Preac Tool Company) passed away recently and, as a result, the manufacturing and support of their line of precision tools stopped - we're looking to bring this historical saw (and their other tools) back to market, stay tuned!