• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Peter,

the parts and the colcoring of the gangway and shaft look absolutely convincing. It's a pity to hear you getting this CA allergy. Do you have some kind of local exhaust ventilation for your workplace?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

Thanks ( :-[) to the lockdown my long term project is finally coming to a close. There are only some small details missing and here and there some weathering and ... of course the wire ropes. What would a wire rope transmission be without them!
Lastly, I dislike the large quantity of gangways all around the abutment, but ... it that's how it looked in reality! Now I am eagerly waiting for the Victorian gentlemen that are printet from e in 1/50 scale by Modelu3d!

Here some pictures taken on my balcony as we have to stay at home whenever possible.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

That model is absolutely stunning. World class. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Yes it is! Just a spectacular achievement. And a really interesting subject.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bill Gill

Peter, Your work on this project is terrific. The model is magnificent.
I hope you find a solution for modeling the wire ropes.

Design-HSB

Peter, uniquely beautiful diorama in museum quality.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

WOW!!! That is spectacular!

I like the gangways, they add a lot to the structure's character.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Peter,

this is by far the very best model I've seen for a very long time. It is irritating to see that even the model edges, balcony railing, table and backdrop can't distract from the model's impact. Given it's spatial boundaries maybe a glass or plexiglass housing might solve the rope topic?

Absolutely stunning.

Volker

Hauk

It´s a beautiful piece of work.
You should be proud!

(And I look forward to see if figures will add something to the diorama. I find that figures often spoils the atmosphere of a scene, but given your modelling skills they will probably be something very special!)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

Great model Peter really what I really like is the different depth of the water it looks cold
cheers.

Peter_T1958

Hi gents

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts. I greatly appreciate your inputs!
It is not easy for me posting my work here under the critical eyes of all the experts here. I am pleased all the more to gain so much positive feedback.
You know, I am an old school modeler and not able to do 3d modelling (yet!). So there is still a stigma of imperfection on all my projects – nothing truly fits together and needs a lot of adjustment and redoing again and again. This is very time consuming, needs al lot of discipline too to finish such a long time project! Furthermore I can do just a few of all those projects I have in my mind... However, it is not just a question of quantity!

@ Volker
A good friend of mine works in the field of plastics processing. I will ask him about a plexiglass housing.  ::)

@ Hauk
I have the same doubts about figures in a diorama. But figures would be a good way to show the huge dimensions of the wire rope transmission and allow the viewer an idea of the timeframe. Be sure, I will only use them in my diorame, when I am able to paint them properly and in the same manner as the diorama. All should look like made of one-piece.

All the best
Peter

Barney

Absolutely perfect - nice finish - just a great bit of model building
Barney
A figure would be nice to show the scale -

Hydrostat

Quote from: 1-32 on April 09, 2020, 07:30:19 PM
Great model Peter really what I really like is the different depth of the water it looks cold
cheers.

Yes, this is really mind boggling.

Peter_T1958

The water was an essential element of my diorama. I grew up at the river Rhine or, to be more precise IN the river throughout the summer month. So having a close relation to the water it was very important to me realizing it just as it was and always is in my mind.
I wanted a sluggish flowing river in the late season. If you live close to a river you know the different appearance of water through the seasons. During the preparatory stage of the water modelling I spent several hours on the river bank, just observing the water current, the ripples and swirls. Later all was created out of my mind. For the ripples I had to come up with a special technique (post 309).

So, when you have the impression, that the water is cold I am very happy, thanks!

Lawton Maner

Getting praise from this group is one of the greatest things that can happen.

All I want to do is bring a comfortable chair and my fishing rod and wait for something to strike.  The water is that well done.